Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Damn Hens

Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Damn Hens

Well, had 4 opportunities this afternoon to seal the deal on my second bird and the hens kept sticking their nose in my business... literally...
Bird gabbled and came running in to about 30 yards, tree in the way, didn't have the shot...
Hens came out and walked around, he followed them out...
I called and he came back..... Hens first though... They stuck close to him like Secret Service and wouldn't move....
They made their way out again... I called... He came back a few yards, a hen emerged from the woods and he turned and followed her....
They made their way to the roost so I relocated to a corner, called , he came they saw and ran in front and flew into the roost...
He gobbled and flew up...
Damn hens.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Damn Hens

yep I agree... damn hens...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah. I sware, turkey hunting would be so much easier if the hens were just caged up for the season.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

this morning i was 50 yards from a roosted gobbler and right underneath a hen, i thought it was goodnight for my first tom. the hens flew down first and went up over the hill, less than a minute later mr. tom followed, never offering me a shot. I HATE hens!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

hens got me again today..... Birds gobbled on the roost all morning at a wood duck calling in the creek below him.... hen tree called and flew down on the other side of the creek... Ol tom followed her, with all the rain I need a boat to cross it....
damn hens...
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM

they'll do that to ya[:@]
Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah those darn hens! I've found a ton of gobblers so far this season, but not one single one has been without hens. I need to keep reminding myself that the season is early and just finished the first week. I wish our season would start about a week later so we had more opportunity to find those lone gobblers. Next week should be better!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Ive only turkey hunted 3 times but i know the feeling. 2 out of the 3 times the dang hens screwed me up.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: DARN Hens

Just like our wives - themDARN (use this word please) hens are the same and cause us guys much aggrevation at time!

Now since I have been married for 35yrs - what I have learned is after the 3rd time you do not let your wife finish her statement she will grab the fryin' pan or rollin' pin and come to whoop yer butt! Hens are exactly the same!

Trick is to get one of those hens to talk to you and then mimic her to a T - as she starts talkin - yappin - you cut her off and do your own. She shuts up so do you - she starts again so do you or louder - 3rd time get yer gun up as she is coming with a big ole fryin pan and hopeully Mr Tom in tow!

Ihave killed several birds such as Ihave described.

JW
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Default RE: DARN Hens

just as JW said work the hen an old boss hen will come in to see a new bird in her stomping grounds just remember 90 % of the time she will try to slip in on you. you can also pattern a hen easy she does things like a old bad habit.

Quick Reply: Damn Hens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.