Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tragic Accident

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM

Default RE: Tragic Accident

This is heart breaking ... Thoughts & Prayers go out to the Family!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

I don't get it[:@]. I really do feel sorry for this family but how can this happen? This man will have to live with what he's done for the rest of his life but it was preventable guys. My 11 year old and I take the hunter safety course EVERY year. It's a reminder of what can happen when you lose focus. This is so sad, makes me sick, makes me angry[]. I just don't get it. We'll definately be praying for the family and friends of this little boy.

God Bless,

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM

I agree..... sometimes even those with alot of experience become lazy when it comes to safety. It sucks that things like this have to happen to remind people not to get lazy when it comes to firearms.

To those hunters out there that loose all composure when you see big game..... get some disipline about yourself before you handle a firearm. Getting excited is to be expected thats why we hunt, but loosing your mind, and taking pop shots at things in the bushes is unsatisfactory!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

that is awful.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM

It shouldnt have happened but it did. Pray for the family I can't imagine how this guy feels.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Very Tragic!! Prayers for the family!
Every one of you out there hunting should have been taught how to hunt safe. It is easy to get caught up in the chase of the hunt,
BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER TO ALWAYS "HUNT SAFE"! ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU SHOOT!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think all of you lambasting this poor ba$turd should be ashamed of yourselves. This man just lost his son! With a 7 yr old daughter, and a son that will turn 3 in June, I cannot think of a greater loss than what this man is now feeling.

And I'd just like to point something out...

According to the article, the man was out hunting, and then got up to stalk some turkeys. Perhaps he had a gobbler near, and was getting into range. To better his chances (and for his son's safety), he told his son to stay put.

I don't know (and neither do you), but he could have actually been shooting at a turkey! His son may have gotten between him and the bird. I don't know about you guys, but if my 7 year old was slinking through the woods in camoflauge, hunched over, I would not see her. A true accident.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OutdoorEnvyGal

This is heart breaking ... Thoughts & Prayers go out to the Family!

I agree, sad situation all the way around!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt public land and I think about idiots like this everytime I step foot in the turkey woods... The woods are FULL of F STICKS like this!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I can't even imagine how this guy feels to have killed his son.....

YOU DO NOT SHOOT AT SOUNDS
YOU DO NOT SHOOT AT MOVEMENT

What part of SAFETY do we not seem to understand?! BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET! Basic, basic, basic hunter safety here.

This isn't the only story I've heard like this though, and I've heard similar accounts since I was old enough to hunt (nearly 30 years ago). So, it would seem that there ARE some hunters out there in the field with us that we should ALL beware of? Do we look at one of them in the mirror in the morning?

Folks, in all seriousness - Inexcusable. Completely preventable. Bad as I feel for this guy, he failed his ultimate hunter safety test. IMO - turn in your guns, you're done.

Edit: And for those of you who will inevitably curse me for my "lack of compassion", imagine this: A little boy, who's probably excited to do ANYTHING with his Dad. Goes hunting. Dadends his life in an "accidental" shooting.

- What about that little boy and his dreams?

- What about his mother and sisters, who probably said goodbye to him the night before, knowing he and Dad were going out early to hunt the next morning, but not knowing it'd be the last "goodbye"?

- Just what is "accidental" aboutany shooting, versus - say - slipping on a log while stepping over it? Shooting is, at its very core, aVERY deliberate action.

He's going to need a lot of help to get over this. His faith and his family for certain. They absolutely must muster up enough love to forgive him. And he'll have to muster the courage (in time) toforgive HIMSELF.

Quick Reply: Tragic Accident

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.