Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting Henned up Toms

Old 04-18-2008, 06:22 AM

Default Hunting Henned up Toms

I got this off T.R. Michels web site:

Hunting Henned-Up Toms

During the breeding phases the toms may follow the hens throughout the day rather than spend the day on the strut. This is especially true if the hens leave the feeding/strutting areas in groups of two or more birds instead of by themselves. If the toms are still with the hens in the late afternoon/early evening there's a good chance they'll roost near the hens. This usually results in less pre-dawn gobbling, because the toms know where the hens are. It also results in the toms getting together with the hens shortly after they fly down. I've often seen toms traveling with (or right behind) the hens when they roosted together. This makes the toms difficult to call, because they are already with or following the hens.

If the toms have roosted far enough away from the hens you may be able to get between them and call them in as they move to the hens. If the toms have roosted close to the hens, and you have previously patterned the birds, or think you know where they will go to feed when they fly down, you can setup between the roost and the feeding area. You can also use a dominant hen call to try to get the hens to come to you, bringing the toms with them, or you can use a fighting purr to bring in the whole flock.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting Henned up Toms

If, if, if...most anyone on this board could tell ya' that.
Sorry my first seaon in Iowa ended, andfor 4 days I lived that crap.
Tag soup for me. It was frustrateing that's no IF.