Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

im all henned up

Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM

Default im all henned up

here in KY its some rough hunting, birds will gobble on roost but once they hit the ground they won't respond so I assume they are henned up and it should end soon but tomarrow is the last day of my 2 week vacation and I need some suggestions...who am I kidding I am desperate!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: im all henned up

I need some suggestions...who am I kidding, I am desperate!
I have felt that way many time's. The only thing I have to offer is probably what you aleady have done. GET IN CLOSE, IF YOU CAN WITH OUT BUMPING THEM. If you do, so what, they arn't comming anyway. So maybe busted up will give you a chance for a lonely Gobbler.

I have often wished I had a Machine Gun and when one Gobbles. Just Spray that Tree till it falls down. I get so fusterated sometimes.

Good Luck, at least you are honest with yourself.

TF
Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find out where they are going , or at least which way they're going, after they hit the ground. Be set up ahead of them. If he's with hens, let them lead him your way.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cut em off!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wait until about 10-11 and then pick him up after he has left the hens...
Old 04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

do you have a chance to hunt with a partner or no? if you do have them set up and call from 75-100 yards out and try to see if you can get any closer to the flock.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been having the same problem. But mine gobble right under the roost tree and the hens come a runnin. I am gonna see if I can get one to gobble real early and sneak in right under him in the dark. Then when he flies down, put him down.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 PM

I got my first turkey last weekend. He had 3 hens with him and left them to come see Bmobile.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not in your shoes, so I can't tell you exactly what I would do...... but here is some no duh advice from the peanut gallery...

What you are doing now isn't working, so you have gotta try something different. Don't go in tomorrow trying what hasn't worked out the last two weeks just hoping that today it will be different.... it won't. You gotta make something happen. Heck... try gobbling back at him.... make the hens hold up or come to you.... fight purr.... bust the flock the night before off the roost and call them back the next morning.... heck.... something.... gotta mix it up! Good luck.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

If you are fortunate enough with having some extra shooting areas, move on to the next bird. I was so frustrated because the same Tom had his hen after flying down two mornings in a row and i couldnt call him away, even using hen decoy and several call mix-ups.

I was hearing multiple gobbles in the morning when I shocked them with my owl hoot so I figured they all couldnt be cassanova. The very next day I moved my blind I was able to call out two toms with my passive jake and hen decoy.

Unfortunately the two toms were 2 yr olds at the best and I know there are 3 and 4 yr olds in there. I will hopefully be showing the picture of him tomorrow!!! Im going in about 4:30 or 5 am so I can get them roosting and call the big daddy downfirst.

Quick Reply: im all henned up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.