Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 5 year old sons first turkey >

5 year old sons first turkey

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

5 year old sons first turkey

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Default 5 year old sons first turkey

Well this past weekend was the youth season here in Missouri, and my 5 1/2 year old son was really wanting to go, so he did a lot of practicing with his Remington 1100 youth model 20 gauge. He got really consistent with it and I decided to take him out on Saturday. I put up a blind off the edge of one of my food plots where I always see lots of turkey activity every spring. I had been getting lots of pics there this spring too. We headed out Saturday morning in 30 degree temps with spitting snow and wind, not good I thought, but as we neared the plot I hooted and heard two gobbles up on the ridge overlooking the plot about 100 yards away. We set up in the blind and I put out my new B-Mobile decoy and waited for daylight. We could hear some hens, and heard a few birds fly down. I called a couple times and had a hen answer. Then a few Jakes started squawking about 75 yards behind us at the edge of the ridge. I answered them a few times and got them really worked up, then came a booming gobble from the same area, I pulled out a gobble tube and gobbled back twice. I knew they would come around from our right side, so I got my sons shooting stick situated and the gun barrel pointed out the right window of the blind, just as I handed him the gun and told him to look everything over to see if he could see everything he needed to. He told me " I see one!" I looked out the window and could see big gobbler running/strutting down the middle of the plot, as fast as he could go without coming out of strut! He came by so fast Colton couldnt get a shot, and was in the front of the blind in just a couple of seconds, we repositioned the gun out the front window, and he got on him. The bird was very intent on giving the B-Mobile a good flogging, he strutted and bumped and wing slapped at the decoy for a few seconds, and then turned to face us head on at about 15 yards, Colton got on the bird and put the dot on his head, and gave him a face full of #6s! The bird did a back flip and started flopping. It was the best turkey hunt of my life, and one I will remember forever, and I hope my son does too. He was so excited, and did very well for a boy of his age. I was a very proud daddy! Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Default RE: 5 year old sons first turkey

Oh yeah, the bird was 22 lbs. 10 1/4 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs, and a bad attitude! Another pic

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice bird, sounds like you got a good start on raising your boy right

and a well deserved..... >>>BAM<<<
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats too him.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats to your son and to a very proud father...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM

Thats awsome!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM

That is too cool! Congrats to your son, and I know you are probably pumped up too! That is a really nice bird, and I bet he is addicted now! Too cool man! Congrats!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

thats great!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is awsome, mt son and I are 0 for 1 so far this year. We saw 13 birds but did not get a shot. Congrats and good job!!!

Good job Colton!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!

Quick Reply: 5 year old sons first turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.