Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey roadside... ethics >

turkey roadside... ethics

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey roadside... ethics

Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: turkey roadside... ethics

I'd be the guy around the corner that would turn you in to the warden and call the sherrif in an instant!

You just poached! Let alone probably broke some other law(s) in one way or another. Main point is you left your ethics in the truck.

JW
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

been "SHOUTERN" for 62 years and never heard that expresion.
Same here. Born and raised in rural south Georgia and never heard that'n. Must be the "Pepsi generation" or something.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I thought "shotty" was a description for how well (or in this caseunwell), something was built.

What do I know?....Just a stinkin' cheesehead Yank.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't done it with a trophy buck, so I no doubt wouldn't try it with a gobbler...no matter how big and bearded. Too much at stake.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 PM

The term "shotty" is used in the x-box game Halo. At least that is the only place I have heard it. I perfer to call it a "scatter gun"
Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Agree with JW 150%...That is one thing I try tocram into my hunters ed students NOT to do. I would turn you in in heart beat. You are screwing things up for the responsible hunters the ethical and moral ones. I am not willing to loose my rights as a hunter for some dumb hick hunter poaching from the truck or roadside.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I've lived in the South my entire life and never heard anyone refer to a shotgun as a "shotty". The only reference to shotty was when a southerner described something of poor quality as "shotty".

I think this original question, asked by a kid I believe, was properly answered. It is illegal to shoot from the road in mos(if not all) states and, unless the poster owned the property, would be considered poaching and tresspassing.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that something of poor construction is refered to as "shoddy", not shotty.

Back to the topic; highly illegal in Ontario, we can't shoot a gun within 50yrds of any maintained roadway. Its arguable if we can have a loaded gun in a car, most cops would arrest you on the spot, but a good lawyer could argue that since it was under your care and control it wouldn't constitute unsafe storage. Try one of those gun holders in the back window in southern Ontario and you will find yourself in the back of the 1st cop car that sees you. We are taught that they belong locked in the trunk, or at least covered with a blanked so someone that can't pass a background check won't steal it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, shoot it then have it mounted so that every time you look at it you have that feeling of utter satisfaction, of working hard and fooling a boss gobbler. Then you can pass it down to your kids and tell them the awesome story of that long ago great hunt, while you were still in your prime.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

There is no way Im shooting from my vehicle. In most states thats against the law. That is called poaching in my book. Unless you possess a handicap hunting license. But then you have to be off the road so far.

Quick Reply: turkey roadside... ethics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.