Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

No Loyalty in Turkeys!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default No Loyalty in Turkeys!

As I reported here a fewweeks ago this was my first time to feed birds with any success. And I got up to 13 Adult Gobblers, 2 Jakes and 3 Hens. The 11th, of April I had 1 Gobbler and a Hen[:@]The last few days nothing. I did hear one on my neighbor last night, about a 1/2 mile away. I knew they split up in the Spring. But I was hoping it was later[X(]The 11&12 was Mo. Youths Days. They had it bad Cold, Rain, and a little SnowThe Weather has been bad, however the birds don't care. The Gobbler and Hen I saw on the 11th. were in loveWhich brings me back to Loyalty. I guess they don't need my Corn anymoreIts about all ate up anyway. I looked last nite and just the crumbs. I bet I spent 3-4 Hunderd Dollars on these birds they should be in good shape for the Locals to kill[:@]....LoL

I just heard yesterday that a Youth killed a Bird not more than 2 miles from me with a Beard Shot off. I would like to see if that was the Old Boss they ruled the Roost around here I hope it was I didn't like that Bird. He made life hard on the Two Year Olds.

Has everyone else had the same problem?

TF
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Loyalty in Turkeys!

No expirence here...not allowed to feed anything but your kids here in NY...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Spike

IMO shooting baited turkeys can't be alot of fun.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM

In Ohio, you have to remove all feed 10 days prior to season. I'll occasionally throw a little corn out in front of the trail cam so I can get some pictures, but I stop all feeding 2 weeks prior to season.

Now onto the subject of loyalty. The turkeys have been holding pretty good to our picked corn field this winter/spring due some stalk rot that knocked down some of the corn and left a good bit for the wildlife. The turkeys roost in the woods to the east of my farm and the farm to my east, well,their field lay fallow this year. The farm to my west still has some corn that wasn't picked. So all winter the turkeys would fly down, feed in my field, cross over to the unpicked corn to my west and then in the evening cross my farm back to the roost area in the east. Well the farmer to my east started to spread manure on the fallow field two weeks ago. If anyone knows turkeys, you know that they LOVE picking through fresh spread manure. So now the turkeys spend almost their whole day to the east and don't hardly cross my farm at all. Yeesh! LOL! And there is still plenty of waste grain to be had plus the standing corn.

The only thing I'm waiting for is the break up of the winter flocks. The hens nest on my farm so they always bring a few boys in tow with them. Just have to wait for break up.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Typical Buck

No, No, you got it all wrong. You don't shoot them over the Bait. You Pluck out every other Tail Feather. This is the sign of a TRUE Turkey Plucker! A Gobbler has 17 Tail Feathers if you can get all 7 Plucked. Its a Grand Pluck. Look under www.TurkeyPlucker.comfor the Rules. This ONLY can be done on the Gould Bird! Easterns have 19, Meriams Have 21, Reo's 20, Osoloa 13+2 Starter Feathers. Also you probably didn't know the STARTER Feathers are used by the Mohawlk Indiand for the Head Dress....LoL

TF
Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

[&:]...WTF????? Where are you from?????

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

No, No, you got it all wrong. You don't shoot them over the Bait. You Pluck out every other Tail Feather. This is the sign of a TRUE Turkey Plucker! A Gobbler has 17 Tail Feathers if you can get all 7 Plucked. Its a Grand Pluck. Look under www.TurkeyPlucker.comfor the Rules. This ONLY can be done on the Gould Bird! Easterns have 19, Meriams Have 21, Reo's 20, Osoloa 13+2 Starter Feathers. Also you probably didn't know the STARTER Feathers are used by the Mohawlk Indiand for the Head Dress....LoL

TF
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

TF

Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

Bubbahoo18I think you are the only one who liked that post.

TF
Old 04-17-2008, 04:46 AM

I hear ya Fife! I usually feed the deer and turkeys throught the winter after bowseason is over and up until about mid march or so, and they will stay around till the hens start to nest, and then its off to the neighbors hayfields, and I cant find a bird on our entire place, Im working to make enough food plots and nesting areas so that maybe they will stay through the season.

Soooo... If youo were to pull the tail feathers out of a hen.... would that make you a ...mother plucker?!!![:-]
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 AM

Only if she was on the nest when you plucked the feathers!!!

Quick Reply: No Loyalty in Turkeys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.