Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The ethics of decoys

Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Default The ethics of decoys

Hey all,

I'm thinking of creating a series of videos for my hunting blog on ethics. Since it's turkey season, i was wondering what people have to say about the ethics of decoys, electronic calls etc.

And any other suggestions of ethical questions that you think may be of interest to viewers would be much appreciated as well.

thanks.
john
http://huntingwithjim.com
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Default RE: The ethics of decoys

In GA electronic calls are illegal and I agree; they take alot of the skill out of the sport. As far as dekes go some would argue that they hurt more than they help. Me, I see no problem with dekes.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

I don't reckon there is anything unethical about using decoys, afterall they are legal. But i do feel sorry for those hunters that have gotten into turkey hunting in the past 10yrs or so. They have been inundated with adds & videos that push decoy use & therefore think thats the way u hunt turkeys. Boy are they missing out on the plottin & scheming. Missing out on the ridgetop chess game, dueling with an ole bird. I couldn't stand to simply put out half a flock of dekes & sit & wait! Now there is a time & place for decoys, but not all the time, anyplace!
As for electronic calls, they are unethical since they are illegal, at least in most places they are. Electronic calls would b like going to hear a band play & the conductor pulls out a radio! JMHO!!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Here I have a good topic for you - is it ethical to take a shot beyond 30 yards for a turkey?

I beleive electronic calls could be used by anyone handicapped enough ti prevents them form enjoying turkey hunting - for those whoa re capable I beleive it is not

Decoys are jsut anotherr tool - are ethical.

JW
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

If the law says I can use it or do it, I do. IMO, if it's unethical it's going to be called out by those who are paid to enforce it. Therefore, if I'm allowed to do it, I do it if it'll help me get my game.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ethics..... ehhhhhhhhh boy.....[:'(]....... nothing like trying to quantify intangibles to get a good fight started.......

Ethics are totally up to the individual. There is no set right or no set wrong outside of the laws. There is a concrete, finite difference between legal and illegal.... but ethical and unethical covers a spectrum of opinions more colorful than one of the queens hats.

My personal take.... decoys probably save more turkeys than they kill, especially in this day and age... just like turkey calls do... most folks do not understand how to use them, or the principal behind them..... and they use them as a crutch to make up for excessive or poor calling, or lack of knowledge of the species at hand. Used properly, they are a huge advantage. They have certainly helped draw many turkeys in too close over the seasons, but by and large I find most hunters these days cussing them... but they still manage to sell like hotcakes.

As for electronic calls.... personally I'm not aware of any place they are legal.... though I suspect they are somewhere... otherwise why bother to ask.... personally if you are too lazy or too trifling to not be able to mimic the call of a hen turkey with all the vareity of calls and instruction available, then you really ought to consider making a friend and having someone call for you..... which is fun anyway.

As to additional ethics topics..... how about rifles on turkeys....that ought to shake the nest a bit..... hunting after 12 or 1pm.....fall hunting...... using dogs in the fall.....shot size smaller than 6 or larger than 4.... all of these are where applicable and legal of course.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

not to hijack....but seems some guys think the LAW means ETHICAL...i beg to differ...heres why:

some places its LEGAL to whack one off the limb...

or ground pound a pheasant....

or snag fish...

etc etc i could go on for days....to me, just because its LEGAL does not mean its ETHICAL. ethics can be pretty personal...what i see as unethical ya'll might find as a good time...nothin wrong with that i suppose...some guys might say deer drives are unethical...i say BS thats just a good tactic and a good time...and the law does not allow me to deer hunt with a semi automatic rifle...but IMO its ethical..(just to prove my point..)

as for turkey hunting ethics...

-working a bird that is already being worked
-you were running late...only 1 area birds stay...only place to hunt...already a vehicle there....what do you do...
-whacking them off the limb

theres alot to talk about...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it's legal , so be it...........you're the one that has to live with your decisions....if theres a lil man in the back of your head saying, man, thats wrong, it probably is.....and if he ain't talking, well it's it probably isn't......
Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

They should be banned...why does everything today have to be made to make something easier !!!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

I don't reckon there is anything unethical about using decoys, afterall they are legal. But i do feel sorry for those hunters that have gotten into turkey hunting in the past 10yrs or so. They have been inundated with adds & videos that push decoy use & therefore think thats the way u hunt turkeys. Boy are they missing out on the plottin & scheming. Missing out on the ridgetop chess game, dueling with an ole bird. I couldn't stand to simply put out half a flock of dekes & sit & wait! Now there is a time & place for decoys, but not all the time, anyplace!
As for electronic calls, they are unethical since they are illegal, at least in most places they are. Electronic calls would b like going to hear a band play & the conductor pulls out a radio! JMHO!!
I believe this to be a good post.

This is a HARD Topic. To me its like Sliding into second base, trying to take the guy OUT! Its unnessary, but, they do it.

In Turkey hunting Age make a difference also. We Old Fat guys can't get to the Birds like you young bucks can. So if its an Advantage we are going to use it

Someone said have a friend call for you. What the different in that and the Eltronic Call? This is a good discussion but, can Very in each person who hunts. However, if its the Law you better do it, or pay the price.

Just my 2 Cents

TF

Quick Reply: The ethics of decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.