Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how much is too much?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default how much is too much?

i've always heard everybody say to never ever overcall a turkey. my question is, how much is too much?how do you know where to draw the line? i know its a strange question but i'm just curious thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how much is too much?

ORIGINAL: StruttinGobbler3

i've always heard everybody say to never ever overcall a turkey. my question is, how much is too much?how do you know where to draw the line? i know its a strange question but i'm just curious thanks guys.

There is no finite line or amount that defines "too-much". You have to let the bird tell you.

A lot of folks call every single time a bird gobbles, and then they call again.

I have a general rule of thumb.... if I KNOW that a bird has responded directly to my call.... I will usually wait about 3-4 minutes and see if he gobbles again... if he gobbles on his own... I'll usually respond with a more excited yelp, maybe even a cutt..... if he responds to that... then I shut up until further notice... no matter how much he gobbles. Usually in that instance, he's dead in less than 20 minutes. You have to know your hunting ground and try and pin point exactly where he is, and figure what is between the two of you. If there is a fence or a creek... then the odds are againest you. Listen to where he is moving when he gobbles.... getting closer... getting further away.... no moving at all?

Usually the result of over-calling is a bird hanging up... or stopping short... usually at least 80 yards out from you... often more. When you over call... the gobbler thinks the hen is hot and is going to come to him... since thats what happens naturally 90% of the time. What you have to do is keep him curious and keep him searching. Often when a bird hangs up... he will stand in one spot and gobble his damn head off... if he is gobbling every 30 seconds-1 minute and not moving.... odds are he is hung up... doesn't always mean you over did it... but it means you have to make a move.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to say the more he calls the less I do. If he's answering me, I might let him gobble a half dozen times before I call again. If he's trying to locate me, I'll give him just enough information to let him know he's on the right track. And they don't need much. If he hangs up, or has hens, I'll cutt or call more aggresively.
I've already called a tom in with a total of one cluck.
The only unattended hens I've heard making a lot of noise in the woods, were ones heading straight for the toms.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Both above have given yo great info - story short - you want him out front callin' to you and you not callin' him.

Only call just so much to get into that position. Realy hard thing to describe as each bird is deifferent.

JW
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

There is no finite line or amount that defines "too-much". You have to let the bird tell you.

A lot of folks call every single time a bird gobbles, and then they call again.

I have a general rule of thumb.... if I KNOW that a bird has responded directly to my call.... I will usually wait about 3-4 minutes and see if he gobbles again... if he gobbles on his own... I'll usually respond with a more excited yelp, maybe even a cutt..... if he responds to that... then I shut up until further notice... no matter how much he gobbles. Usually in that instance, he's dead in less than 20 minutes. You have to know your hunting ground and try and pin point exactly where he is, and figure what is between the two of you. If there is a fence or a creek... then the odds are againest you. Listen to where he is moving when he gobbles.... getting closer... getting further away.... no moving at all?

Usually the result of over-calling is a bird hanging up... or stopping short... usually at least 80 yards out from you... often more. When you over call... the gobbler thinks the hen is hot and is going to come to him... since thats what happens naturally 90% of the time. What you have to do is keep him curious and keep him searching. Often when a bird hangs up... he will stand in one spot and gobble his damn head off... if he is gobbling every 30 seconds-1 minute and not moving.... odds are he is hung up... doesn't always mean you over did it... but it means you have to make a move.
This is a very good Post. I agree 100% I wish I could follow it[:@]I am Pumped, The Bird is Pumped...LoL Ends in a Stale MateI LOVE TO HEAR THEM GOBBLE!

tf
Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

There's also this train of thought I heard Ray Eye state once.
He claims he only quits calling to pull the trigger.
His thought is a turkey's entire life is based on calls.
Mateing, danger, finding each other in the woods, etc.
I don't know if I would go that far, but he is a pretty respected name among turkey hunters.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it depends on the turkey. Sometimes you have to almost call too much to convince the tom to come in those extra 10 or so yards. But generally, keep it simple. Make that tom as curious as you can. Id say just enough to get your point across to him. If hes interested, it wont take much.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

I think it depends on the turkey.
Agree 100%.

Growing up hunting turkeys and ducks, I'm used to calling. I think calling waterfowl taught me more about turkey calling than almost anything else. You only want to call to hold the birds attention... keep him curious.... but on some days, you gotta fog it to the birds to get them to work.... other mornings if you so much as blow a hard greeting call, the ducks will flare like crazy.... I've found that turkeys are much the same way.