Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about jake's

Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Spike

Default Question about jake's

Went out yesterday on opening day here in Oklahoma. Everywhere we went we kept seeing jake after jake, most of the time grouped up with hens although not strutting or being vocal. Longbeards could not be found at all although they were readily seen a few months ago during the latter part of deer season.

Finally late last night there was a mid-size gobbler strutting with a hen but guess what was with him...no less than 12-14 jakes.

Can someone explain this? Is it early in the breeding season?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Question about jake's

I cant really explain it...but I am seeing the same thing

Up untill 2 weeks ago even, I saw plenty of longbeards on my place...but I haven't seen anything but jakes and hens since last Saturday

Edit: I saw one longbeard this morning..but it was a long ways off on a neighboring property. There was 1 longbeard, 2 jakes, and 5 hens in that group
Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM

I wouldnt complain,Youve got Longbeard city next year.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

well your property has probably had somekind of shortage on long beards and the jakes are just not mature enough yet
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

They are there and is no shortage - might be in the strut lockjaw type phase -the big boys may be grouped yet too - so not very vocal. Sounds like your flocks ain't quite split up yet.

jw
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

that probably means you guys had a good hatch last year and next year will be a real good season
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FlywayControl

I wouldnt complain,Youve got Longbeard city next year.

I agree, lots of toms for next year. Yeah, I'd be a little confused and frustrated myself, but keep huntin hard, itll pay off when that big one comes struttin in.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

If you have a bunch of jakes they may have those longbeards pushed off. You take 6-10 jakes ganging up on 2-3 longbeards, well the longbeards are going to hide out. I will betcha they are close by. Worst case senirio, lots of gobbling 2 yr olds next year.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: JW!

They are there and is no shortage - might be in the strut lockjaw type phase -the big boys may be grouped yet too - so not very vocal. Sounds like your flocks ain't quite split up yet.

jw
Right, my birds have barely talked at all since Sunday...I could count the gobbles ive heard on one hand
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

Right, my birds have barely talked at all since Sunday...I could count the gobbles ive heard on one hand
[/quote]

It may be the storms that came through oklahoma Monday night and Tuesday. I went out last night to a spot that i heard at least 10 longbeards gobbling (could see them, all were toms) and where we shot 2 10 inch birds on sunday and didnt hear a single gobble until they got on the roost. I know we shot 2 of their buddies but it was in a completly different area and the birds were still gobbling after we got those two. The wind/hail/rain really had them buggered bad

Quick Reply: Question about jake's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.