Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Are Turkeys really smart animals ? >

Are Turkeys really smart animals ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Are Turkeys really smart animals ?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Are Turkeys really smart animals ?

I have heard people talk before about how smart turkeys are. I am no wildlife biologist and I am open to other opinions. To me turkeys are a bird, just like a chicken, just like a duck. I think turkeys have a keen since of sight, and have very reactive predatory INSTINCTS, but that is all they are instincts. It seems to me that they dont have a thought process or the ability to reason, all their actions are driven by instincts. The cannot stand there and think there might be a hunter there I will walk this way. If they see you they run or fly, to me this is just instinct not smarts. If you are calling and hit a sour note and the bird never shows, or goes in the opposite direction does he know a hunter is close by or is it that because the sound you made fails to register as a hen and instinct does not tell him time to breed.Bass are harder to catch than catfish but does that make them smarter.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are Turkeys really smart animals ?

um um i don't know
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they are smart or else we wouldnt have to "hunt" them.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

you'll find that answer , just spend time hunting them and you'll see how dumb they are, lol.....you'll be in for a shocker, lol....
Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The word for it is.... Paranoid...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

They seem to be smart this season so far[:@].
Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree with the poster at the top that they aren't "smart" but they have increadible senses and are extremely spooky. That's what makes them so tough, not smarts.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have seen them do some really smart things and some really dumb things, you just never know with them, that is why they are so much fun to hunt.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dumb bird, FANTASTIC survival instincts. I may have scored a new spot to bow hunt becausea fewToms trashed this guy's wife's newly waxed and shiney mini van. IMHO, anything that wants to kill its own reflection in a car door doesn't qualify as smart.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

i don't think they are smart, i also don't think any one breed is any smarter than the other. some are just pressured more, pressured birds and older birds are the wise ones. i think just as stated above that they are very spooky and they have very keen sences. they do however remember being chased or shot at in a spot and will be more apt to be carefularound that spot, but i often see the same bird come back to that same spot time and time again after we shoot his buddies.

Quick Reply: Are Turkeys really smart animals ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.