Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey gun

Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Turkey gun

I have a TC encore and was thinking about getting one of TC's Turkey Barrels any reviews or opinions welcome. I am still waiting on a Benelli SBE that will not be in on time for turkey season, and was wondering if this makes a better turkey gun. If it does I will just get a turkey choke for one ofmy 870's. First year turkey and don't know which firearm route is the best.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey gun

The 870 is very hard to beat.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

The barrel for the encore will be almost as much as a brand new shotgun. I'd get a turkey choke for one of the 870s and use that. It's nice to have a second shot just in case you need it.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Spike

Cant go wrong with an 870. HS Strut has a cheap choke and will reach out a ways.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

i would go with the 870.i have hunted with the encore and killed 2 toms last spring with it i just like those back up shots last spring just beforew i killed my second i shot a different and knocked him down and before i could get reloaded he got away,my dad will probebly use it this spring,i will be packin my 870 with 3.5 in hevi 13.

which ever way you go i hope you have a safe and succesful season.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM

The SBE cant be beat ( turkeys or ducks) but an 870 is a solid reliable scatter gun. Hunt with it if you got it.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else, use your 870 with a turkey choke. The encore is a good gun, but the downfall is that you only get one shot.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: craiggers

I have a TC encore and was thinking about getting one of TC's Turkey Barrels any reviews or opinions welcome. I am still waiting on a Benelli SBE that will not be in on time for turkey season, and was wondering if this makes a better turkey gun. If it does I will just get a turkey choke for one ofmy 870's. First year turkey and don't know which firearm route is the best.

Thanks for your help.
What choke does your 870 have now? If it is full I would try patterning it before I looked further.....
Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW..... go figure! Ask a question about getting a top qualtiy barrel for an excellent gun and folks jump off topic to suggest a cheap-a$$ 870 that costs less than a barrel !

Back to your topic....

The 24" T/C turkey barrel is an excellent choice and will make that Encore feel incredible! In fact, it's become our favorite shotgun already! We have several shotguns (including a cheap 870 ) all the way up to a Benelli SBEII and the Encore WILL pattern better than any of them. I should also add that I've swaped out the T/C Turkey choke for a Black Diamond Strike choke from Indian creek Shooting Systems..... simply awesome!!! [:-]

Target on left was fired from my Encore Pro Hunter using Hevi-Shot #6..... from 40 yards!

The Encore....

The Black Diamond Strike .665

Good luck and good huntin' this Spring!

I hope we get to "test" this combo out tomorrow during opening morning of IL's Youth Season, my 12 year old Daughter has alsoelected to use this combo.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM

I have an 870 Super mag, it is not junk. I had a forcing cone done to it, scope mounted, and have a rhino .660 choke. Shooting Hevi-shot and maybe nitro's soon. I don't have any pictures of targets, but i'll put it up to any high dollar gun.

Quick Reply: Turkey gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.