Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid >

Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid

Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid

MY daughter is gun shy and I am lookin for a low recoil shot that won't kick to hard she is shooting a 20 ga .

And has anyone played with just some regular shot I was thinking something in a low brass but not sure how it will perform?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid

Don't forget that there are shot size requirements here in IN. You may not be able to find any low brass in 4,5 or 6 shot. You might try adding weight to the gun with one of those recoil reducers.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 AM

If she cant handle a sufficient load to kill and not just wound a turkey, dont let her shoot this year... Its selfish to rush your kid into shooting if they are not comfortable, and irresponsible to try and shoot a turkey with some lower powered shot out of a 20ga... Turkeys are tough, sometimes a full power 12 ga doesnt always knock them down. Just wait till next year or beyond, spend this time at the range getting your daughter used to shooting a full power 20ga turkey load.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

The worst thing about recoil is the mental aspect. If she is already gun shy it might be best to wait until next year. Or start her with something she isn't afraid of like a .410 then a low brass 20 gauge and then a 2 3/4 turkey load.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

The most logical would be to get her a semi-auto, takes a lot of the kick out! My sons Rem 11-87 shoots the Winchester Supremes 3" #5's and doesn't kick!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 PM

you might want to try the recoil pads from limbsaver. they are suposed to work really well
Old 04-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

get a Knoxx Spec Op recoil reducing stock. It reduces recoil by about 95%! My 7 year old will be shooting 12ga 3" #6's in it this weekend.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 AM

How old/big is she.?..maybe next year is the time to start. Just take her along for a year rather than developing a negative toward the sport....
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys can be killed with a 20 Ga. with standard 2.75" #5 or #6 loads.

Today's recoil pads do work well.

Get her plenty of practice to be sure she's aiming correctly on a turkey target. That will also verify her maximum range to get 10-12 pellets in the head/neck.

I'm assuming you will be sitting right next to your daughter. If so, you can make sure the bird is within the effective range of the gun and load, then give the go-ahead to shoot. You can be ready to back her up if the bird shows signs of getting on its feet.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Ditto the 11-87 with a ported choke and a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad. She needs some practice with it to ensure she isn't flinching. Start with a 22 rifle and work upto a.410 then 20 gauge light loads then 20 gauge 2 3/4 heavy loads then 3" turkey loads.

Maybe, as others point out, she isn't ready. Only you can make that determination.

I would not recommend using anything other than 3" turkey loads in the 20 gauge. It is a far worse for a kid to shoot and crippletheir first bird, knowing thatitwill die a misserable deathat the hands of coyotes,than not shoot at all. As hunters we have a responsibility to kill the animal as quickly and ethically as possible. Pattern the gun at 30 yards and see for yourselfthe difference between a 3" 1.25 oz Hevi-shot turkey load and a 2 3/4" 7/8 or 1.0 oz.load in the 20 gauge. I don't think they make Hevi-shot turkey loads in 2 3/4" for the 20 gauge for a reason - there aren't enough pellets in them. Once you get under 1 oz of shot the patterns lose denisity quickly. You want a kids first turkey to be DRT (dead right there).

On the other hand, if she can handle a 12 gauge, the 2 and 3/4 turkey loads from an autoloader like the 11/87 may actually kick less than the three inch turkey loads in a 20 gauge because a 12 gauge shotgun is heavier. My son is 12 but isn't bothered by recoil at all. He shot his first deer at age 8 with my 30-06 and has subsequently used that rifle to kill3 more with one shot. When we were setting up his 20 gauge youth 870 for turkeys two years agoItook the first coupleof shots andnoticed the recoil when shooting the 1 and 3/8 Nitro loads because that gun is so incredibly light. He shoots it fine so we didn't need to tweek it any further, but the next step would have been a Limbsaver recoil pad. It already had a ported Primos Tightwad choke. I shott a Mossberg 835 and that thing was beast before being double ported (barrel and choke) and the installation of a Limbsaver pad made a huge difference in felt recoil for that gun.

Make sure you daughter is wearing plenty of shoulder padding when at the range. There is absolutely no reason for anyone, young or old, to take a pounding patterening ashotgun orrifleat the range. It will cause one to start flinching in anticipation of the shot and that will take some time to eliminate. Buy a Past recoil pad that straps to you shoulder for target shooting and sighting in. I use mine every time I go the the range because I don't want to develop a flinch. I have also used it when waterfowl hunting as well because you can wear it under you clothes. Another solution is simply place a folded-up towel between the shoulder and the gun.

In summary - don't let the gun kick her when shooting at the the range by working up from small gun to larger gun and use additional padding (Past recoil pad, towel or sandbags) to ensure that doesn't happen. Install a Sims recoil pad on the gun and use a ported choke which reduces recoil and muzzle jump.

ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT THING I ALMOST FORGOT: Insist she wear good hearing protection at the range. The noise from these guns with ported chokes can be deafening. Many, if not most shooters mistakingly percieve the muzzle blast as recoil, so ensure that doesn't happen with great hearing protection. I use a both ear plugs and earmuffs for double hearing protection.

Good luck

Mouthcaller

Quick Reply: Lookin for a low recoil shot for the kid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.