Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tennessee turkeys. . .  opening day >

Tennessee turkeys. . . opening day

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tennessee turkeys. . . opening day

Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tennessee turkeys. . . opening day

went out this mornin and didn't hear one single gobble or see one gobbler till i was on the way home. . . Anyone else from TN have any luck? I think they haven't started breeding yet due to the cold weather but it's looking like a hard season. I hope some of you guys did better than I did. JW I know you'll read this one and I want your input too. Where should I look to find them? I'm thinking thickets will be my only hope. The turks DO NOT seem to be in fields yet
Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tennessee turkeys. . . opening day

I'm in North Alabama,right on the Tennessee state line.We went this morning andhad successhunting a field.I thought the same thing you did until this morning.Turkeys were gobblin good and strutting.We wound up with one with a 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs.
Good luck
James
Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 AM

Gobblin hard here in the west.
This mornings bird.
10in beard,1inspurs,22 pounds.Two year old.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I went for TN opening weekend, and it sucked where I was at. Had a dandy gobbler on the farm that didnt gobble the whole weekend. We just had to glass him in the cornfields to try and figure him out. No to mention it was pouring rain the whole time.

Bad Weather + Bad cooperating Turkey + No gobbling = Still a great time tho. Funny how that works.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back from Tenn. and nothing went right. Wind, cold, and rain ruined my weekend. Heard one gobble at a distance just one timeand that was it. I left early to get back home to hunt my place this afternoonand guess what?, yes it's raining. I am really pissed right now. This season hasn't started out good at all, so it can only get better. I'm going back to Tenn. next week. I'll be hunting Th.-Sun. I'll be hunting Hardeman and Wayne Counties. Hopefully by next weekend the gobblers will perk up a little.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM

It hadnt rained here around Ky Lake until later in the evening on both days.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: FlywayControl

Wow! I was hunting south of you, near Hutingdon. It started raining around lunch, maybe an hour or two after and didnt stop, at all. lol Sunday morning was drizzly with a heavy fog. everything was already damp from the day before, So it seemed wetter than it really was.

It didnt help that we were roughing it in a cabin that was built in the late 1800s. Lets just say it needed some remodeling lol.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM

(savannah, TN) We woke up in camp saturday morning to a bad down pour, went and checked the fields that the birds were using friday, and they were there, 5 good birds, a few jakes and 16 or 17 hens, all traveling in a group. We set up on 'em anyway and they didn't respond to anything. Went in yesterday afternoon and set up a ground blind just off thier normal path to go roost, and we had 2 good gobblers looking at the decoy and started to come in, then all those hens circled around to where they were and brought 'em both back into the group, then watched em go roost on the opposite side of the creek from where we thought they were going. all this during a down pour, we had five inches of water collect at our feet.
Left out sat. night, and looking out the window now i'm glad we did. The radar is showin' one heck of a storm over our spot too.
Hopefully they'll break up soon and the weather will get right.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nothinspecial

(savannah, TN) We woke up in camp saturday morning to a bad down pour, went and checked the fields that the birds were using friday, and they were there, 5 good birds, a few jakes and 16 or 17 hens, all traveling in a group. We set up on 'em anyway and they didn't respond to anything. Went in yesterday afternoon and set up a ground blind just off thier normal path to go roost, and we had 2 good gobblers looking at the decoy and started to come in, then all those hens circled around to where they were and brought 'em both back into the group, then watched em go roost on the opposite side of the creek from where we thought they were going. all this during a down pour, we had five inches of water collect at our feet.
Left out sat. night, and looking out the window now i'm glad we did. The radar is showin' one heck of a storm over our spot too.
Hopefully they'll break up soon and the weather will get right.
see to me it completely looks like hens aren't even starting to nest yet. when they turkeys flock up like that its nearly impossible to call one in. . . and when you try an ambush or try to figure ut their pattern then you have that many more eyes lookin for you. I'm sure this year is going to get much better and i'm gonna blame this poor opening weekend on the weather because this past week we were in the twenties once and the thirties a few times ans that is awful tough right before turkey season ya know. BB
Old 03-30-2008, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: FlywayControl

Wow! I was hunting south of you, near Hutingdon. It started raining around lunch, maybe an hour or two after and didnt stop, at all. lol Sunday morning was drizzly with a heavy fog. everything was already damp from the day before, So it seemed wetter than it really was.

It didnt help that we were roughing it in a cabin that was built in the late 1800s. Lets just say it needed some remodeling lol.
Sat morning it was thundering and lightning before daylight but didnt rain here till evening.This morning it was cloudy with a stiff wind and no fog.Started raining about noon.I heard the turkey harvest was already down a thousand from this time last year.

Quick Reply: Tennessee turkeys. . . opening day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.