Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Cant Get my Gun to pattern >

Cant Get my Gun to pattern

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cant Get my Gun to pattern

Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cant Get my Gun to pattern

I just got back from shooting my 12gague Charles Daily Maxi Mag and all 9 of my shots hit low at 20 yards and at 30 it wasnt any better, I tried remington and Federal shells anyone have any suggestions??

Ryan.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Cant Get my Gun to pattern

Need a set of adjustable sights that you can set for windage and elevation. Or take the gun to a gunsmith ti custom fit.

JW
Old 03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put a scope on it. It can be 0 power. I use a cheap red dot from BPS, works great. My Moss 500 did the same thing. They're field guns designed for shooting moving birds and have a low comb height. This makes them difficult to aim like a rifle. Adjustable sights or a scope are a good alternative. If you use an electronic red dot scope make a habit of removing the batteries every time you use it and keep a spare on hand.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt, you need adjustable sights of some type, whether open, red dot or scope..

The simplest and cheapest would beopen sightsthat mount on your rib via allen screws...Fiber optics are nice...

If your gun shot high, you could always hold low, but since it shoots low, you would be covering up your target if you try to hold high.. Not a very precision way to aim...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well... I use the gun a lot for all kinds of hunting not just turkey andive never had a patterning issue untiul i start using 3.5 inch mags... If you have any other suggestions, PM me please. all help is greatly appreciated.and thankyou for the suggestions.

Ryan.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 PM
JW
Super Moderator

try a few 3 inch rounds or make mental note of it and adjust manually.

since you use it for other hunting - now suggest a gunsmith to fix your fit.

you'll shoot better all the way around.

JW
Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Try to shot a smaller load *laughs out loud!* For real, I was shooting 1 7/8 oz and could only get 20 pellets at 20 yards. I tried 1 3/4 oz and went to 90+ pellets. Also try a different choke. I am using the tight wad this season.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

camelcluch---i think i sent you a pm. im new to this and dont really know how 2 work it. haha
Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM

target panic
Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

target panic

Yep... especially if its a bit low left.... nobody is a bad ass when it comes to turkey guns and 3.5" mags...

If all your other rounds/shells pattern straight (to POA) and suddenly everything you are shooting is low, then you are either holding the firearm differently, shooting from a different position, something has broken, or you are flinching.

There are certain, rare cases where I have seen different types of shells shoot to vastly different points of impact vs point of aim... but usually thats a freak condition.

Quick Reply: Cant Get my Gun to pattern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.