Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

The vest...

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The vest...

So, alot of posts are popping up from guys who are wondering what Turkey hunting requires, vests, and its contents...
Attached is what I take with me everytime out, The vest is just a field and strem crappo I bought from Dinks.
3 Remington Premier 3.5" loads #5 shot
1 Knight and Hale Sla-tek or a Ol Yella. slate
2 strikers of different makes for different pitch
4 diaphrams, I use different diaphrams to mimick the different hens I hear in the scouting season or to piss other dominate hens off, that and its hands free
a colapsable decoy with stake, I also use old arrow shafts in high wind cause it gives more play with the decoys.
My old Lynchs box call.
a small pop up blind, I sometimes just sit on it unless I'm up in a few rows of corn or small bushes.

and thats all folks... this system in total is budget freindly and is completely replaceable with a trip to the shop...

Oh.... and chalk and sandpaper to dress my calls

Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The vest...

Oh, I do have a small flock of decoys though as the season and all changes though as well.... Haveing an assortment of deeks will save you a headache when you, shoot one, lose one, get one tore up in briars, or just plain out wear one out.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like your setup, cheap, simply, works. I have a very similar setup. I think it is funny how all these people buy $150 vests, $200+ in decoys, $300+ blinds, when all you need is a call and some know-how.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha kingvjack~~ What is that wrote on your lynch box call?? Please explain the story behind that one, does that remind you of why you are in the woods and not at home or what?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Ah.... Maybe some TP if you are a long haul from a toilet.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

Haha kingvjack~~ What is that wrote on your lynch box call?? Please explain the story behind that one, does that remind you of why you are in the woods and not at home or what?

Yeah, explain yourself, I never say that the forst time I saw taht pic.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM

King u dont use any shock calls ???
Old 03-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, No shock calls... I use proper preseason scouting (that and its public land... small area)
That box is 12 years old.... Its got crap written all over it... but I started calling it "The Nag" and Primos came out with a nag.... so then I named it after my girl....
The arrow is to point out the location of a crack I put in it throwing it one day and the two marks around the screws is the exact position that screw should be since i hand tuned it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also point out that niether of those strikers are the ones that come with that call....
I did some extensive research to figure out whitch ones sounded sweeter...
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Just from memory...this is what's in my vest.

2 mouth calls
2 box calls
insect repellant
clippers
3 3.5 shells for NWTF Browning 10 ga
GPS
Book
gloves
hat/face mask
flashlight
compass
cigarette lighter (actually just recently quit after 30+ years...hope it sticks. Thank God for Nicorette gum)
chalk
soon to be gobbling tube (just bought a few days ago as turkey's where I'm hunting aren't gobbling good and I want to try and get them stirred up)

I think that's it!

Quick Reply: The vest...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.