Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Favorite Slate and Box Call >

Favorite Slate and Box Call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Favorite Slate and Box Call

Old 03-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default Favorite Slate and Box Call

Hello

I am new to turkey hunting and would like to know what your favorite Slate and Box Calls are. Aside from custom calls what do you guys like. I am heading to Cabelas/Bass Pro this weekend and would like to purchase a good slate and box call. I am thinking about a Lynch Fool Proof Box call and a Knight and Hale Yella Hammer Slate call. What's your thoughts on these two calls? I would like to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite Slate and Box Call

I have used an Ol' Yeller slate for 3 years now (i think its a knight and hale) and I have an old Lynch's world champion box call. I use the ol yeller 90% of the time and resort to the box for locating and high wind situations.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Another vote forOle Yeller, same as King. Great price, user friendly, and sounds great. For a box I use Woods Wise Raspy Hen.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Absolute Giant

Hello

I am new to turkey hunting and would like to know what your favorite Slate and Box Calls are. Aside from custom calls what do you guys like. I am heading to Cabelas/Bass Pro this weekend and would like to purchase a good slate and box call. I am thinking about a Lynch Fool Proof Box call and a Knight and Hale Yella Hammer Slate call. What's your thoughts on these two calls? I would like to know what your thoughts are.

Thanks

i have no experience with the yella hammer, but you CANT go wrong with the fool proof. my dads been using one since he started turkey hunting, hes killed over 50 now. my whole family uses them. and they wont break the bank
Old 03-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Pennswoods makes a really great slate call...Here ya go..
Premium Slate Call

A high quality wood pot call featuring (2) different striking surfaces - slate and glass. The top surface features fine, thin, Portuguese slate for making sweet sounding yelps and cutting. The underside glass surface is designed to make sweet sounding purrs and clucks when that gobbler is within 75 yards. Comes with hickory and waterproof strikers. http://www.pennswoods.com/9902.html
Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM

ditto to another poster. You can't go wrong with the lynch box call.
I played with the yella hammer in bass pro. It has good sound. I've never had a bad knight and hale friction call. I use the ol lady hen with the wood pot and I use their pocket sized slate.
I've used alot of the primos box calls, and liked them also.
Also check out Crossland Game calls (crosslandcalls.com), they make a great box call. I just got one from them last week. They are excellent handmade calls, and I paid less for it than you'll pay formost mass produced box calls(26.00 shipped).
Old 03-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Slates by Cody...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Most of the Ceramic surface and the graphite,or carbon strikers are my choice, i stay away from glass,or aluminum.glass slicks up to easily,aluminum seems to attract moisture that makes the striker slip the surface and fail to creat friction.

K&H Ole yeller, H.S.li'l duece or voo duece whatever it is,or Primos Power Slate.Good pots,but unfortunatly the strikers are not graphite or carbon,wich is my top of the line preference. I like a call that can whistle.and that can do that
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM

i havent used the Yella Hammer before but i have a lynch's world champion box call

personally though i use a quaker boy hurricane because it sounds great and reguires no chalking or sanding
Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

woodheaven real hen and crystal slate

Quick Reply: Favorite Slate and Box Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.