Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Barrel Length

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Barrel Length

Im just wondering what everyone's preference for a turkey gun barrel is. I know they make barrels anywhere from 20-24" for turkey hunting, maybe even shorter,

im just curious what everyone perfers.

I've just been using my 870 with the 28" bbl and I think its way too long for turkey hunting.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Barrel Length

Shorter barrels are for those who primarily hunt in the timber. Shorter barrel = easier to swing in brush......! If you hunt field edges, prairies a 28" barrel shouldn't be a problem. If you don't mind paying for a shorter barrel more power to you, but a 28" (being a little on the heavy side to carry around all day) but should do the job just fine, and could be used as a multi purpose gun waterfowl/turkey.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

to me, 28" is a PITA turkey hunting, like in brush or in a blind or something. I know it does the job though.

I was kind of wondering if 20" barrels have much of an advantage over 24" and which barrel lenght you use or prefer.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a short clip from Nitro Company's web sight. They make some of the turkey loads around and know theri stuff. Hope it helps

The modern turkey hunter sacrifices pattern performance and velocity for maneuverability of a short 21" barrel. A gun with a 26" barrel will give you higher velocity and better patterns. For every inch up to 26", you gain 7 1/2 to 15 feet per second in velocity, depending upon the gun. A 26" barrel will give you 10 to 15 percent better patterns than a short barrel with the same choke constriction.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

Here's a short clip from Nitro Company's web sight. They make some of the turkey loads around and know theri stuff. Hope it helps

The modern turkey hunter sacrifices pattern performance and velocity for maneuverability of a short 21" barrel. A gun with a 26" barrel will give you higher velocity and better patterns. For every inch up to 26", you gain 7 1/2 to 15 feet per second in velocity, depending upon the gun. A 26" barrel will give you 10 to 15 percent better patterns than a short barrel with the same choke constriction.

I respect Nitro and everything, and they obviously have done their homework on their patterns, but every single ammo company and gun manufacturer disagrees with that statement. Remington, for example, says that with modern shotgun powders burning much faster, that a charge of shot has reached its maximum speed at 18-19" in a barrel. I know Nitro is a big name company with turkey hunters.... but I think Remington probably has a little bit more advanced testing systems... just a shot in the dark there.

There is a great article in the latest Turkey Call magazine about barrel length, and why it used to be that longer barrels shot tighter patterns and shot faster, and why that isn't so anymore. They spoke with 5 different companies I believe, and all of them said pretty much the same thing......
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't get the dang pic to work!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to dissagree with nitro. I use to use a 28 inch barrel for turkeys then this year i switched over to a 20 inch barrell mossberg 535 and the 20 inch barrell patterns much better then the 28 inch barrell with the same choke and shells. Just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

28" or 26"? Balance (re: weight) is the main consideration in answer to this question. My turkey buster has a 24" barrel. Great for turks, but lousy for wingshooting; my 28" barreled gun is more versatile overall. I've busted turks, geese, ducks, and doves with it. I suspect my experiences are similar to many others with tons more experience.

If you're only gonna have one gun, then go with a 26", and get the versatility. I hunted once with an old borrowed 32" A-5. That was way too long!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

For over 25 years I used 28" barrels exclusively on a Browning A-5 and a Rem 870 Express. I never once found them to be too long or obtrusive in the woods. It's all about whatever you get used to. I wasn't using them because I thought they shot better or tighter - that was simply what I had and I didn't have any trouble killing turkeys with them.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

It's all about whatever you get used to. I wasn't using them because I thought they shot better or tighter - that was simply what I had and I didn't have any trouble killing turkeys with them.
Exactly. It's what you grow up with or get used to. Today, a 28" barrel is not any better than a 22" barrel with the correct choke. That was not the case years ago though.

Quick Reply: Barrel Length

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.