Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Undertaker Choke Tube

Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Undertaker Choke Tube

Hey guys i have a question about the hs strut undertaker choke. how well does it pattern with lead and copperplated lead shot? i mainly shoot federal premium flite control #5s and winchester supreme xx magnum #6s. right now my setup is a benelli supernova with a primos jellyhead choke, and with the federals it throws an awesome pattern at 35 yards, 52 pellets in the head and neck. at 45, it was not what i expected. there were nineteen pellets in the head and neck, but only nine in the kill zone. i've heard from several people that the undertaker is a great long range choke and wanted yalls opinion on it. or, does anybody have any suggestions for a better shell for the jellyhead? i really like this choke and don't want to change, i would rather just find a better load for it. thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Undertaker Choke Tube

I get excellent patterns with minein anyWinchester load, 20-30 hits in the head/neck with either 4's or 6's. It does even better with Win. x-tended range. It won't pattern consistantly with 5's, but that could be my gun.Frankly 9 pellets in the kill zone at 45 yd with lead is not bad. I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot if I could count on that result.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM

How many pellets do you want to put in a kill area and at how far?
Sounds like what you have is good. Do you take a lot of shots over 45 yards??

How many shots did you atke to pattern each load?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replies guys but in answer to your questions born 2 bow hunt i've never taken a shot over 45 yards. that is my maximum range, and i won't risk injuring a bird by stretching it any further. i'm just interested in putting about fifteen to twenty in the kill zone at 45 yards. i agree that 9 pellets will kill the bird, but i want to be absolutely confident i will make a clean kill at longer ranges and not cripple a tom. as for your other question, i patterned two different loads, and i shot three shells per load at each range to make sure i was gettinga consistent pattern. once again, i really appreciate your replies. Good luck this season and God Bless
Old 03-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, Id stay with the setup you have and just stay within 40 yards. I think anything past 40-45 yards is pushing it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Remington Magnums through mine... On an 835...
Works pretty good.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta try em all. mine works fine with Federal Nitro5's 3" 1 7/8. Smetimes backing down on the amount of shot in your load will actually improve your pattern. Too much shot in the load can actually work against you!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:02 AM

Strut:

There are a lots of guys who would be very happy with you present pattern and they should be. Sound like you have the shooting thing in control, if you are concern about the birds not coming close, I would put some extra effort in decoy type, decoy placement placement and/or calling.