Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

jellyhead question

Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Default jellyhead question

so i got a primos jellyhead for my remington 12 gauge. Went to put it on and the choke wont go in the barrel. It says rem 12g on the tube. Anyone know what the problem may be? Its an 870 wingmaster and i think it could be at least a couple years old. I'm starting to wonder if the barrel accepts screw in choke tubes.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM

Default RE: jellyhead question

Well, did you take a choke out of the barrel before trying to install your new choke??? You mentioned that your starting to wonder if the barrel uses screw in chokes, so, if you didnt take a choke out before trying, chances are it doesnt. Does it say "Full""Modified"or"improved cylinder" anywhere on the barrel? Hopefully yu havent shot the gun with no choke in the barrel, if you have and it needs screw in choke, you have probably ruined the threads. Hopefully this helps you some.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just stick your finger in the end of the barrel and see if there are groves for the invector choke. If there aren't, then you can't put a screw in choke in your barrel. If there are grooves, then double check your tube just to make sure. It states that it fits most Remingtons. Maybe this is one it doesn't fit, but it should.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

and check and make sure there isnt one already in it sometimes they will come with one in the you have to take out
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM

the barrel is an improved cylinder and it doesn't have any threads in it. So i guess thats it. Can you successfully take turkey with an improved cylinder barrel and if so what kind of loads woul i be looking at. I assume if its possible i'm to need to take fairly close shots. Do most new shotguns have barrels that accept screw ins. This totally creates a problem two weeks to opening day.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

New barrel for about $75 or so should curet he problem.

[/align]
Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM

is there somewhere online where i could get a barrel for it? I looked at rems website and all i saw was specialized turkey barrels
Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I searched for a new barrel for my 11-87 but couldn't find one in the $75.00 range. This is the cheapest barrel that I could find but PLEASE CALL AND CONFIRM that this barrel will fit your gun.
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=R4582
If I were you I'd get your local gunsmith to thread it for you. My gunsmith charges $50.00, 2 day service.

God Bless,
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah, you can have it rethreaded or you can buy a barrel for it at Bass Pro or Cabelas, or other gun shop, getting a new barrel you can get a length that suits you best. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please stay out of the woods!!!!

Quick Reply: jellyhead question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.