Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

cows=turkeys

Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default cows=turkeys

i turkey hunt a big section of aclosed beef operation. the cattle are fenced in the entire property, woods, swamps and feilds. last july they shut it down and sold the cows off, since then i havent seen any where near the same number of turkeys. the only reason i could think of was the feed for the animals, but the owner (my neighbor)said he never gave them grain, silage, or anything besides roundbales.why might my turkeys have left?????????
Old 03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cows=turkeys

The turkeys might've lost their "comfort factor" without the cows beingaround maybe? I really can't think of another reason but I'm sure there is one.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

You are right - the cowsdisappear and so will yor turkeys.
Cow Plops the turkeys do use in several ways from pickin out undigested grain to flipping them over and gathering the bugs underneath. Cow dung also helps young green shoots start quicker in the spring.

I hunted around a diary farm for almost 20 years. The last 5 years the farmer sold his herd and the turkey population plummeted to where there are very few now.
I also know in my other state that wintering flocks hang around many feed lots of both dairy and beef cows and that is how they make the winter. This year more so because of the heavy snow cover - something we have not had for quite a few years - at least not this much snow and ice and the population of turkeys are really suffering.

So YES - Cows do equal turkeys!

JW
Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

JW hit the nail on the head.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

amen JW i've seen turkeys eating from cowpiles more times than i can count cows also give turkeys lots of sets of extra eyes lookin out over the field. BB
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM

I agree with JW. The big hay bails also provide warmth in the winter. It would not be uncommon to see flocks of 100 turks in the stack yards during the winter.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

why might my turkeys have left?????????
I am willing to bet they are not far. This winter is was bad for them, no Acorns in MO. Their are Cows all around my place. But thier are 15 Gobbles eating out of my Corn Pile. I believe they will split up very soon. One day I will see 6, 1, 3, 9, I don't get what they are up to....LoL I hope they do break up and leave! I can not kill one of these birds. I have gotten attached[:@]It would be so easy and not to mention against the Law.[&o]

HalfRack...I bet if you would put out a 100 Lbs of Corn and a Cam you see some action again

TF
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I know a lady in Northern Lower Michigan who if she didn't feed in winter there would be no turkeys there at the level there is now.

One other trick I leanred quickly was to find winter feeders in the area I hunted and all feeders are on property I can NOT hunt - was not given perimssion. But what I did was key on areas arond these places abd sought permission. It is one of my scouting techniques and how I hone in on places to hunt turkeys.

Another scouting technique I use all the time is AT&T turkey scouting on the farms and acreage I do have permission.....train the owner to what you are looking for - give them a phone call to stay in touch occasionaly - and I know where turkeys are 300 hundred miles away.

That way once I get there and it is 2 days before the season - I have starting places to listen - find - see - then pattern the birds! Hasworked very well over this last 20 years!

JW
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JW!

You are right - the cowsdisappear and so will yor turkeys.
Cow Plops the turkeys do use in several ways from pickin out undigested grain to flipping them over and gathering the bugs underneath. Cow dung also helps young green shoots start quicker in the spring.

I hunted around a diary farm for almost 20 years. The last 5 years the farmer sold his herd and the turkey population plummeted to where there are very few now.
I also know in my other state that wintering flocks hang around many feed lots of both dairy and beef cows and that is how they make the winter. This year more so because of the heavy snow cover - something we have not had for quite a few years - at least not this much snow and ice and the population of turkeys are really suffering.

So YES - Cows do equal turkeys!

JW
Yeah, last year, I hunted a spot that the guy had fed his cows there during the winter, but the cattle were not there during the turkey season. There were a ton of turkeys there, eating on the extra grain that was laying there. This year, he did not feed his cattle there, I have seen no turkeys in the particular spot. I think that the turkeys enjoy the free feed that they get when the cows are present.