Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Crow Calls

Old 02-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crow Calls

So I keep hearing that owl calls are great shock calls. Do any of you have any thoughts of crow calls?
Old 02-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crow Calls

I have never had any luck with crow calls. In fact I will often blow a crow call, get no response, then yelp and get a response. I am going to try a pileated call this spring. The high pitch and volume sounds like it might shock them into gobbling.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:07 AM

fOR SOME REASON I HAVENT HAD ANY LUCK WITH THE CROW CALL
EITHER. i DID ATTRACT ALOT OF CROWS THOUGH. iT MAY JUST BE THE AREA
IM HUNTING BECAUSE I HAVE FRIENDS THAT SWEAR BY THEM. hOWEVER THEY NEVER WORK WHEN THEY ARE HUNTING IN MY AREA.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:15 AM

I' ve always had real good luck using a crow call. I think the key is not to over use it. I do as another turkey hunter told me once. Hunt the crows. I like to give a few location caws then start with maybe one fight call. This will usally get the neigborhood crows awake and have them zooming around looking for the crow that is mad. As they do all the cawing and looking I listen from a good vantage point.

Now I' ve been sitting quietley ontop of a ridge watching other hunters work a logging road before. They cawed and cawed and no gobbles and no crows. As soon as they left, I gave a fight caw and a hawk whistle... G-O-B-B-L-E!!
Old 02-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I haven' t had a lot of luck either but I that you need to crank it up (just a caw caw won' t do the job).
Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM

I have had more luck with a crow call than any other call. I just do a few really aggresive caws. I have watched a few videos and they said that' s all you need to do is a couple or a few aggresive caws.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:03 PM

I have used a crow call for a few years now both to roost birds and to get stubborn birds to gobble occasionally. I use a Primos Power Crow, it is very loud. I too only give 2 or 3 loud caws when trying to get a bird to gobble. This can work very well when the woods are quiet and you haven' t heard anything for awhile. Just the abrupt loudness of the call breaking the quiet of the woods at times will make one shock gobble. If gobblers are in a gobbling mood on the roost, the crow call works well in the evening to locate the roost sites also.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:28 PM

ive never used one before, but was thinkin about trying one when im sitting out in the woods turkey hunting and hear a crow caw, i usually always hear a gobble afterwards, so i think they will work so im going to give it a try sometime.