Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 will a patternmaster work for turkey? >

will a patternmaster work for turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

will a patternmaster work for turkey?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default will a patternmaster work for turkey?

im new to hunting turkey with a gun, have always used a bow.. i have a 870 super magnum with a 28" barrel ( its my waterfowl gun) with a extended range patternmaster choke tube (designed for 3 1/2 shells) i use it on geese with great results, but the pattern on geese is large and in charge to cover a wide area at 40yards.. its a tight pattern for waterfowl, but is it tight enough for turkey at ranges around or past 40 yards....

wat r ur thoughts

Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: will a patternmaster work for turkey?

ive shot many 40yard turkeys with 2 3/4" modified and like you i used my duck gun, id suggest if you have screw-in chokes to get a full or extra-full but you should be fine just remember you might ge pellets in the body if you shoot that far away, the best thing i can tell you is let them get to 20-30 yards if you can but i never hesitated takeing the 40+ yard shot, and if your useing hevi's ive shot a turkey at 56yards(measured it) and it stoned the bird
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnteen

ive shot many 40yard turkeys with 2 3/4" modified and like you i used my duck gun, id suggest if you have screw-in chokes to get a full or extra-full but you should be fine just remember you might ge pellets in the body if you shoot that far away, the best thing i can tell you is let them get to 20-30 yards if you can but i never hesitated takeing the 40+ yard shot, and if your useing hevi's ive shot a turkey at 56yards(measured it) and it stoned the bird

Exactly how many have you shot past 40 yards with a 2 3/4" modified?

And 56 yards.... measured it.... whatever you say bro!

Trykon.... will your patternmaster "work" yes it will. As huntnteen has just proven, luck is indeed often with the hunter, and even a blind hog will find an acorn now and then. Your pellets will infact travel that distance with lethal velocity, and quite often you might even get lucky enough to put one or two in the head/neck.... it only takes one. But that is sort of like buying ten $1 lottery tickets, winning 5 free tickets and telling everyone you won $5..... it ain't a good bet, and it doesn't make you a master gambler.

The patternmaster choketubes work better with larger shot. Large steel shot like BB, BBB, T, F and especially well with buckshot. Thats not to say they don't work with #6-#4 lead... they do... just not as well. There are no absolutes, but I'd suspect that you'd be better off keeping your shots inside 40 yards. I've patterned several guns with patternmasters, and I've never found one I'd shoot past 40 with... not turkeys anyway. Ducks/geese.... absolutely... buckshot.. the patternmaster is awesome. But for about $40 or less you can get a choke tube made specifically for your purpose... turkeys.... and it will perform better.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ive only shot 2 or 3 over that range, and i know that the 56 yard shot was alot of luck involved but i was shooting hevi-4's and it was the last day of turkey season and the only bird we saw all day was about to jump the fence when my dad told me to "just shoot it before it leaves" so i upped and shot the bird, one pellet in the head,4 in the neck 6 in the upper body
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

I hope they work well because I am using one for the first time this season and I will be shooting Hevi shot #6's.