Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New shotgun and barrel length?? >

New shotgun and barrel length??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New shotgun and barrel length??

Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New shotgun and barrel length??

Ok guys I need some help. I've been deer hunting for a long, long time but I'm getting into my first turkey season in a few weeks. I currently own a 20 ga Mossberg with interchangeble chokes. Typically I use it for doves and an occasional squirrel. If push comes to shove, I will use it for turkeys but I really wanted to get a gobbler-specific gun. I'm looking at a Mossberg 835 12 ga along with a few others. What recomendations do ya'll have? What barrel length is ideal? I'm not trying to spend a ton of money since I'm just getting started. Thanks in advance for all your tips and help!!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New shotgun and barrel length??

I have two 835's both with 28" barrels. One wood and one camo syn. The syn one kicks like a mule, the wood is very pleasant to shoot. If I was getting a turkey only shotgun, it would probably be a 835 with a 24" tube, camo, and tri-viz sights.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

The trend seems to be 24" for turkey guns. Seems to be the best compromise between pattering and a fast handling gun in the woods.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM

I am all about light weight. 24" is a good choice IMO
Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Spike

NEF has a real nice camo 12g pump at dick's for less than $250. remington's new 870 thumb hole/pistol grip turkey camo gun is nice but it's about $399. I shot and old remington 1100 magnum with a 32" barrel. i can kill turkeys at +50yards shooting a 3" heaveyshot high vilocety magnum shell
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Why not use the 20 gauge until you decide that turkey hunting is for you? You can buy a turkey choke for it now and hunt with it this season, before taking the plunge into a turkey-specific shotgun.Just a thought.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Re: Barrel Length

Longer than 18".... shorter than 30". Whatever suits you.... the difference in performance is relatively moot. A longer barrel will give you a touch more velocity, and if it is wet and you carry your gun on a sling, the barrel will get hung up in low hanging branches and you'll get a nice shower for your efforts. A shorter barrel is easier to manage in cover, but is louder, and you give up a bit of velocity. The exact amount varies, but the speeds listed on the box are typically with 30" barrels (or so I'm told by "the industry")... for every inch under 30" you go shorter, you'll give up about 7-10 fps. Which is substantially less than going shorter with a rifle barrel where you will typically lose up to 150fps (which ain't no joke). Its really just pretty much academic... get whatever feels good in your hands. An 835 is the finest turkey gun money can buy without your money buying you a 10 gauge.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Branson

Why not use the 20 gauge until you decide that turkey hunting is for you? You can buy a turkey choke for it now and hunt with it this season, before taking the plunge into a turkey-specific shotgun.Just a thought.
I had thought about just buying a choke tube for the time being. I have no doubt that I will enjoy turkey hunting. I've really never had a place to hunt them, but that has all changed now.

I have found a Mossberg 835 for sale for $250 and I know that is a pretty good buy.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks SwampCollie. I'm thinking that a 24" is probably what I'll end up going with.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A NEW GUN GET A REMINGTON 12GA. 870 SUPERMAG EXPRESS, IT CAN TAKE ANY SHELL UP TO 3.5 INCHES, AND THROWS A NASTY PATTERN WITH A TRUGLOW TURKEY CHOKE

Quick Reply: New shotgun and barrel length??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.