Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Anyone need help with diaphrams? >

Anyone need help with diaphrams?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone need help with diaphrams?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Anyone need help with diaphrams?

Hey guys just wanted to give some tips out with mouth calls. For two years I have messed with mouth calls trying to learn how to use them effectively. I could get sounds just now turkey sounds haha. But this really helped me out. I bought the Primos pack that comes with the sonic dome call and two others and the instructional cd to teach you. That instructional cd put the pieces together for me! It helped me out soo much so just wanted to pass the info on to anyone struggling with the calls, buy that pack and the cd it will make everything so much easier. Good luck in the woods this spring and God Bless!
Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone need help with diaphrams?

I also got that pack last year and the cd was very helpful but i will stick to my hand held calls till they get in close BUT very good cd
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll throw my .02 in. As someone who has been using diaphrams for almost 20 years now, I'd say the most obvoius thing that helps is practice. But finding the time can be tough. A mouth call is not a large item... put it in your pocket in its little hard case.... when you are driving to work or school.... thats practice time. Mowing the yard... doing dishes.... whatever.... practice time. Just having that call in your mouth will help you get used to the motions. They are cheap... chew 'em up.... spit'em out... use them. If you wear one out... big deal. I've never understood people trying to get long life out of diaphram calls. You can get it if you just take simple care of them.... but you gotta break'em in... and you gotta get used to them.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

X2 Swampcollie. thats exactly what i do. as i drive to work i have one in practicing. my lunch break, hey thats an hour of practice in my truck. The more i practiced the more ways i found to place the call to produce different sounds.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

X3 Swampcollie..I would like to addI always have something to ADD!Not trying to out due your 20. However, I been using for 35 and a Few!

I think one of the MAIN things is not to Blow To Hard! The air come fromthe Stomach...It don't take much at all! and their is a small Movement of the Toung and Lower Jaw...Do you all agree? Especially to get a Double Note and other sounds. RIGHT????

Story Time: Back when I first started hunting ("Me and Danial...LoL) Pen Woods, HS Strut, andLohman were some of the first calls I remember. Seemed like they were $5 or More? That was a lot of money to try something you didn't know about. We had this Man that use to make Mouth Calls out of a Piece of Alum. and a Condum I don't know how he made his Horse Shoe. But it had Small Holes in it and the Rubber was Sewed in, I remember him telling me that he had a bar of Soap that he stuck the Needle in so it would come thru the Rubber. Well I got one of those. IT CUT THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH UP! I wish now I had keep it. So I bought a Penwoods Pack and before I got home from Wal*Mart I was getting a sound out of it. Well not to many days we went to the woods and I called in 2 Gobbler's within 5 StepsThis was before season. That same year, I called in 15 Toms less than 30 Yards. I told one of the OLD Time HuntersI would never go another year without killing a TurkeyShould have NEVER said that. The very next year was the First Double Season in Mo. I never fired a Shot[:@][:@]Do you think that guy forgot that????[&o][&o]

TF
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought my first set of diaphrams. I've been practicing a lot. My question is this...I noticed last night that when they had been in the little plastic/snap close containers they came in for a couple of days, they started to have some mold on them. I guess I should let them dry out first or is there a better container to keep them in than they one they came with?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I'll throw my .02 in. As someone who has been using diaphrams for almost 20 years now, I'd say the most obvoius thing that helps is practice. But finding the time can be tough. A mouth call is not a large item... put it in your pocket in its little hard case.... when you are driving to work or school.... thats practice time. Mowing the yard... doing dishes.... whatever.... practice time. Just having that call in your mouth will help you get used to the motions. They are cheap... chew 'em up.... spit'em out... use them. If you wear one out... big deal. I've never understood people trying to get long life out of diaphram calls. You can get it if you just take simple care of them.... but you gotta break'em in... and you gotta get used to them.
Yeah, I chew up about as many diaphrams practicing as I do hunting. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Mold??? I have had a 1000 Calls and I have never had mold on any of them!

Maybe you are looking where the 2 Rubbers are and it's a FILM where they are stuck togeather. While they are still wet put something inbetween the Reeds when you put them up. Also store them in the Refregator(sp) Ice Box...LoL Crispter..Drawer!!!

TF
Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't believe it either. There was mold around the edges, not on the reeds. I've let them dry out and cleaned them off. I'm gonna put them in the fridge tonight.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

X3 Swampcollie..I would like to add I always have something to ADD! Not trying to out due your 20. However, I been using for 35 and a Few!

Hey that means you have screwed up more than I have! [:-]

You know what they say... judgement comes from experience... experience comes from poor judgement! We've no doubt made many and Lord willing I'll be around another 20 years to make a whole bunch more!

Quick Reply: Anyone need help with diaphrams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.