Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

[Deleted]

Old 02-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mounting tailfeathers

I saw a mounting plaque -I forget where-probably in a magazine-that you arranged the plucked feathers on it.It looked real good.Check out some turkey hunting mag' s -you may be able to find it there.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I perform some taxidermy, and never really came across this before. Not saying its never happened. But I guess it really wouldn' t be a whole lot different than using a set of sheds for mounting. I think you have the right idea about trying to support the base of each feather together in clay or foam. I' d try the clay first, that would allow you to move, and adjust the feathers as needed to get your full tail. Let it set and harden. Then try placing it onto a tail cover kit. As far as your feet you probably noticed they have faded quite abit. I repaint the feet, and clear coat them before displaying. They look so much better. A airbrush works great for this. But at the very least I' d suggest you at least clear coat them to bring back some look.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:52 PM

if you already have the feathers pulled.take a pieace of cardboard,lay each feather out on the cardboard starting at the edges and lay each one over the other.when you get them all layed out,take a hotglue gun and run several beads of glue over the ends and up to the fuze.then start with the next shorter feathers and do the same thing till you get the three layers.then make a leather cover.

make a circle that fits over the tail,then fold in half(this is your pattern) for the leather cover.
go from there to doctor it up as much as you want.

I have found this is the easiest way to do it.the glue dries right now so you can keep working on it till your done.
good luck,if you have problems just shoot me an e-mail.
TC.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:04 PM

sound like you got the right idea with the clay and styrifoam, for all you know, you might just come up with a better way to mount tails! look at some tail mounts, the ones ive seen have a plaque in frount of the feathers, idunno i think your on the right track just a salvage fix is all.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Taxidermist that we use was mounting a tail fan, I was looking at it and was suprised to find that he uses auto body filler at the base of the quills to set and hold the tail all fanned out. Who' d of thought?