Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Diaphragm Calls?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
MagnumMan308

Default Diaphragm Calls?

For years I've done all of my turkey hunting with a pair of box calls and a push button call, I never really tried anything else, because the few slate calls I tried I couldent make decent sounds on, and I had no clue how to use a diaphragm call, and they seemed pretty intimidating.

Anyhow, a week ago, I decided to try some different calls, and picked up a $20 HS strut sampler pack with a diaphragm, glass, crow, and owl call. After a little experimenting, I've found that a glass pot cal is very effective, but even more so, that a diaphragm call is alot simpler than it looked.

Now, at this point, I'm looking to pick up a few different diaphragms, but I've got no idea where to start seeing as you cant try them out in store. I tend tohave best luck witha rougher, raspy sound, and I wouldent mind one that is easy to make soft calls with. For a beginner with the desires for sound I've got, what calls would you guys recomend.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Diaphragm Calls?

I believe that mouth calls are very personal, in that, what may work for me may not work for you. Example: I have a friend that has a Raspy Old Hen with him at all times and it sounds really good...for him. I have the same call he does and I can't get it to run very well. Others, yes. But not the Raspy Old Hen.

I really like the 2 reed calls with no cut in them. Very simple and I can make them do anything from simple clucks to purrs to kee-kee's to cackles. I think the split V's and cutting calls have their place but it really depends on what you can make sound good.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

the hs strut raspy hen is a great one or an easy one to operate is a HS Strut double reed. its alittle high oitched but works great on windy days to carry. i will not go to the woods without my "raspy old hen" though. just practice with your call and you will be able to control the pitch of the call with ease.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the HS line of mouth calls. One I would recommend would be the HS EZ-Rasp model. It's easy to use and has a good rasp to it like you said you like.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try them all. Thats what you will do eventually.lol
The X-rated by River Valley Game Calls is raspy and you can tone it down and do the soft stuff too.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MagnumMan308

For years I've done all of my turkey hunting with a pair of box calls and a push button call, I never really tried anything else, because the few slate calls I tried I couldent make decent sounds on, and I had no clue how to use a diaphragm call, and they seemed pretty intimidating.

Anyhow, a week ago, I decided to try some different calls, and picked up a $20 HS strut sampler pack with a diaphragm, glass, crow, and owl call. After a little experimenting, I've found that a glass pot cal is very effective, but even more so, that a diaphragm call is alot simpler than it looked.

Now, at this point, I'm looking to pick up a few different diaphragms, but I've got no idea where to start seeing as you cant try them out in store. I tend tohave best luck witha rougher, raspy sound, and I wouldent mind one that is easy to make soft calls with. For a beginner with the desires for sound I've got, what calls would you guys recomend.
I like the Primos Diamond Yelper and the
Primos Limb Hanger.

Thel work good for me.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Can't go wrong with Hook's Custom Calls, they got turkey built right in them!!!!
Check them out www.hookscalls.com
God Bless
Old 03-08-2008, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

O man , here we go with another comercial on calls

Really the Mouth call is controlled by the user. The aggression of rasp is more of the cut in the call. The loudness you are hearing is the air presure your forcing into the call to work it. Use less air presure and less of a cut in a call and you get a soft raspy tone.

If you can find Half Backs, that is mouth calls with the laytex set back in the frame, you will get what your after a lot easyier. Quakerboy used to have them, they are the Grey tapped calls that some stores may still have...
Old 03-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

as the others said, the raspy old hen is a great call. but an easy to use somewhat raspy call thati like is the preston pittman xciter its a great call.you can pick one up for about $7 at mostsporting goods stores or order them online at www.pittmangamecalls.com good luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 07:06 PM

I use calls that a guy for PA makes for me.They are hand made, have close set reeds witha light stretch. They take very little air to operate and produce some of the sweetest Turkey Sounds you have ever heard out of a Diaphragm Call.

Quick Reply: Diaphragm Calls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.