Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys? >

why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys?

this thought just struck me when i read somebodys post about decoys a few minutes ago.....i live in south georgia and i hunt eastern birds, and its been my experience that they don't seem to care for decoys all that much. i've used decoys only three times in the past, and each time i called up a gobbler, only to have it spot my decoys and turn around and vanish. i know the birds didn't spot me, as i was using a mouth call and not moving a muscle. has anyone else had this happen to them, or know the reason why?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys?

Ah i hunt in Southern Wisconsin and they always come into my decoys without getting scared or anything.. Maybe your birds are just smarter lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

maybe so lol its not just me either other guys i know that hunt around here have had the same problem so i really don't know whats going on with our turkeys
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well the only problem Ive had is with my darn Jake decoy. I cant seem to get a bird in when I have him out. So he doesnt get to be with the other decoys hunting. He still goes but I dont know why I even carry him. He must be ugly I guess...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have never had a bird scare from my decoy, nore have i ever had a tom or jake see my decoy (assuming you mean just a hen or two hen decoys) and spoke...something isn't right...wind, movement...etc...i hunt only public land and hunt the same areas and have never had a bird spook because of a decoy...i have had birds come in with a hen and the hen walk away from my decoy and the tom and or jakes follow her....but never just a spook....what kinda decoys do you use?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

If you use decoys long enough....eventually a bird WILL spook at the decoy. He might spook before you see him, but give it time it will happen. It's just like missing. If you hunt long enough, you WILL miss. Of course, for those opposed to decoys, if you hunt long enough with them, there WILL be a time when the decoy is THE reason the bird came in.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

i was using 2FeatherFlex decoys a jake and a hen
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the gobblers that spooked got their tails wooped by jakes. You never know. Try using just one or two hens. I use the featherflex dekes also. I use one or sometimes two hens and have never had a gobbler spook. I have a jake featherflex, but never use it. Just remember, decoys aren't going to work every time you use them.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

Well the only problem Ive had is with my darn Jake decoy. I cant seem to get a bird in when I have him out. So he doesnt get to be with the other decoys hunting. He still goes but I dont know why I even carry him. He must be ugly I guess...
x2! I told him he is no longer allowed to turkey hunt...he now resides in the attic.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 AM

I hunt with 2 decoys and to date never lost a bird off either one here in Ohio

MrGobbler

Quick Reply: why do decoys seem to scare some eastern turkeys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.