Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fire in Scurry Co Texas

Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fire in Scurry Co Texas

I talked to a buddy of mine who has 3000 acres leased near Snyder TX and he said that the ground accross the road had 9000 acres burnt. He said that they (fire dept) are still fighting it. My turkey huntin buddy and I are planning on hunting there in April. That SUCKS!!!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fire in Scurry Co Texas

I wouldn't worry too much. With a little rain, you'll have nice lush green grass growing everywhere. Those turkeys will move right back into the area.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about rios, but easters absolutely love to get on a burn
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Abilene, which is about 45 mins to an hour from Snyder and there are wildfires all over. I think the news said in 8 different counties in the local Abilene area. One city had been completely evacuated.

Two years ago, we had a wildfire on one of our pieces of property and the turkeys didn't take too good to it. I landed up not hunting that property till near the end of the season. I tried that property the first day of turkey season after the fires and I couldn't get a single gobble. This is the same property where the years before, your would call once and there would be so many gobbles that you literally wouldn't know which way to go because there was so many gobbles. Hopefully this wont be the case with you and the area which you are going to be hunting.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I do prescribed burns on our property every year and the birds seem to frequent these areas more than others. Hopefully it works out for the best for you guys.