Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tenth Legion- Who's read it? >

Tenth Legion- Who's read it?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tenth Legion- Who's read it?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tenth Legion- Who's read it?

Ok. I just finished reading Tom Kelly's Tenth Legion. It was incredible. I loved it.Up until this book, Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment has been my favorite. I loved this book...I think now C&P is 2nd. So, to anybody who has read it, what's your favorite part? What did it change in your turkey hunting? Who's going to take up his invitation to join the "legion?"

Old 02-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tenth Legion- Who's read it?

Nobody?!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM

I have not read it but I felt compelled to reply. What's it about? What makes it the best book you have ever read? Give us a review
Old 02-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Tom Kelly is from Spanish Fort, AL. He wrote this masterpiece in 1973, which just happens to be the year I was born. He discusses turkey hunting in a way that is passionate, humorous, and insightful. His dry humor and wit is rare as is his understanding of the forest, trees, and animals that live within them.

Some of my favorite parts were his comparison of dog-deer hunting to turkey hunting, his disdain for hunting over chufa patches and decoys, his criticism of "experts", but most of all his love and respect for the wild turkey. He pokes fun at his abilities and his inabilities. He pokes fun at the turkey, too. I found myself laughing outloud while I read it.

It is short read, but well worth it. If you are a reader, I encourage everyone to read it. If you know a reader, cheer them up with a copy. If you are tired of watching videos to get ready for season, get a copy. You will thank me later.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Cool man. I'll have to look for it.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've read it... Just not my type of writer... I guess it's one of those book that if your a serious turkey hunter you feel compelled to read it... I doubt I'll ever read another one of his writings

Tom Foolery was pretty good and The Old Pro Turkey Hunter
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

Have to agree with Arjuna, it's a good read. dog1
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

awesome read. His description of the difference bewteen a pure turkey hunter and deer hunter was one of my favorites. He has some old school hard lines but his honesty and passion don't apologize for that. You have to respect everything he says even if you don't agree with everything.

My favorite however is how it ends.....

"..I sat there with my hands shaking and my breath short and my heart thundering so hard I could not understand why he could not hear it. The last turkey that came to me last spring had exactly the same effect, and the day this does not happen to me is the day that I quit" Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Join the Legion!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Great book..One of my favorites..

Leaned me towards the "old" way of turkey hunting, and less towards running and gunning.

If you liked it, also check out The Old Pro Turkey Hunter and Illumination in the Flatwoods.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

It's on my Christmas list for my hunting buddies this year. Thanks for the response guys.

OntElk, I also enjoyed his description of the dog deer hunters versus turkey hunters. His claim at "being the best" is also great. The bird in the beginning that he wants to shoot out of the tree had me laughing so loud I almost woke my wife in bed.

Quick Reply: Tenth Legion- Who's read it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.