Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 best 12 guage for young turkey hunter? >

best 12 guage for young turkey hunter?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

best 12 guage for young turkey hunter?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Default best 12 guage for young turkey hunter?

Hi im taking you guys advice on getting a 12 guage for turkey. I was wondering what would be the best one for me. Im 13. I would like it to be camo. any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best 12 guage for young turkey hunter?

If you're gonna get a 12 Ga, you should probably get a heavy one to reduce the felt recoil. If you want a pump gun, I'd go with a Remington 870, and add a Sims recoil pad. An autoloader might be better as far as recoil goes, but a pump gun is probably a little safer, a little less expensive, and all you'll ever need for turkeys. It wont be bad when you shoot at a bird no matter what gun you have, but you'll beat yourself up plenty trying to pattern your gun if the gun is light and it kicks hard. Also, stay away from 3.5 inch shells, you won't need em. Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

870 youth is the way I'd go....
If you can afford it, remington came out with a thumbhole 11-87 in youth size this year... that would be one bad ass turkey gun....
Old 02-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of budget are you going to be on? Price wise?

Thinking pump? Semi-Auto?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mossberg 500 with an xxful turkey choke...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

benelli sbe's are light, nil on the recoil and VERY reliable (in my experience). the price is a bit high, but you get what you pay for. good gun, my 12 and 13 year old have been using it for a few years.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would highly recommend a New England 12 or 20ga. About $80 youll spend last i knew of. Single shot, but thats all u need (right?). Im not 100% if it comes in camo or not, but the camo isnt really THAT necessary. Anyways, i used to use this gun and its shot about 6 turkeys. Very good gun. Highly recommend it.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

If you're gonna get a 12 Ga, you should probably get a heavy one to reduce the felt recoil. If you want a pump gun, I'd go with a Remington 870, and add a Sims recoil pad. An autoloader might be better as far as recoil goes, but a pump gun is probably a little safer, a little less expensive, and all you'll ever need for turkeys. It wont be bad when you shoot at a bird no matter what gun you have, but you'll beat yourself up plenty trying to pattern your gun if the gun is light and it kicks hard. Also, stay away from 3.5 inch shells, you won't need em. Good Luck!
DITTO....great gun as well as versitale in hunting any other upland as well as waterfowl,absolutely agree with RSS as to the safety factor as too......
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Camo guns are good for "Style points", but certainly not necessary. Whatever gun you choose should be a good fit in the length of pull, moderate recoil for the shooter, patterned to provide a dense pattern within normal shooting range, and one you have confidence in the performance.

Many manufactures make good turkey guns from very expensive to a reasonable price. If price is an issue, there are many "Pre-Loved" ..used...shotguns on the market.

If you choose a gun with removable chokes it opens up many addition opportunities to have a "Good shooter." Also just by patterning different loads can improve or decrease the chances of a good pattern.

The best method to select the right gun is by shooting them. If you have friends and relatives who will take you to the range to shoot their favorite shotgun, this is a good method. But don't pick it because it is what "Uncle Charlie" Shoots and he is a great hunter.....Be certain it is the right gun for you.....
Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 1100, in my opinion the best starting gun for anything, will cost you a few 100 dollors but its worth it, it can be used for duck too,but if you have the cash go with a Benelli SBE or SBE2

Quick Reply: best 12 guage for young turkey hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.