Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 when to use puts? clucks? ect >

when to use puts? clucks? ect

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

when to use puts? clucks? ect

Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM

Default when to use puts? clucks? ect

I just got a turkey slate call and i was wondering is there any times when your turkey hunting that you should use a specific call like put or cluck or so on?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: when to use puts? clucks? ect

The only time I use a putt... or every try to use a putt.. is to get a turkey to put his head up so I can take it off.

Clucks and purrs are happy turkey noises. I use them all the time. Even when I am not working a bird, if I am just sitting in the woods in "ambush" I have had gobblers come in quiet and had them suddenly gobble nearby just making those easy clucks and purrs while raking the leaves. In effect, you end up sounding like one or more birds feeding.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: buckrubboy

I just got a turkey slate call and i was wondering is there any times when your turkey hunting that you should use a specific call like put or cluck or so on?
NWTF | Sounds of the Wild Turkey
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hunt in fairly thick cover. I tend to use clucks rather than yelps when the birds get within about50 yd. because that's what the turkeys do to locate each other at closer distances.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Try to avoid using the "putt" if you can. It is an alarm call that lets the flock know that there's danger.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Wish:

I agree the cluck is a good call to make when the gobbler is close and/or coming in, but you cant see him yet.. It means in turkey talk "Where are You?"

There are low piched putts which are A-ok and there are loud high piched putts which are alarm calls.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

The only time I use a putt... or every try to use a putt.. is to get a turkey to put his head up so I can take it off.
x2. Only thing I'd add is putting to an alarmed turkey. Ive actually settled down a turkey on a busted setup simply by putting back at the turk each time it putted. It came in quick, caught me off gaurd, spotted my movement, started putting and leaving...but when i putted back (just out of curiousity) it settled down and eventually came back in to the dekes.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I Putt using my real voice to get the head up like others have mentioned! Practice it it will work great! But ya gotta be ready to take the shot!

Now I am soft cluckin' all the time!

JW
Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I purr alot on hens that are close.... if they have a gobbler with them, they ussually come check things out...
I don't put, bad idea, every time I hear hens in alarm mode they are putting, and being in alarm mode and moving your hands is not gonna score a bird.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 PM

If you can see them , within 100yds, no calling period. Putting, or the alarm putt, will end your hunt quickly. That call alarms the group and every turkey in the surrounding counties that the gig is up. Sometimes less is more in the woods. Start off with soft yelps, purrs, and clucks. Increase volume according to hunting conditions, and keep your eyes peeled. No calling if he's comming in, and right before the shot, a soft cluck with your mouth will bring him right out of strut and the rest is up to you. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: when to use puts? clucks? ect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.