HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   All Around Diaphrams (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/233627-all-around-diaphrams.html)

lnen#1 02-20-2008 08:11 AM

All Around Diaphrams

If you had to choose only one diaphram to take in the woods, which would it be?

Simp 02-20-2008 08:38 AM

RE: All Around Diaphrams

It would be a double reed call with no cut. Double reeds are very versatile for me. Purrs, yelps, clucks, cackles and cutscan all be done with them. When you start adding cuts like "V's"in the reedI lose the ability to make certain calls.

SwampCollie 02-20-2008 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Simp

It would be a double reed call with.....
....with notch cuts on the ends... Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen. Hey... different strokes.... :D

Might get a wild hair and take a Sadler McGraw though.... love that call.

Simp 02-20-2008 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
....with notch cuts on the ends... Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen. Hey... different strokes.... :D
Ya know a friend of mine really likes those QB Old Boss Hens as well but I can't seem to make them work for me. I like those new QB foam fit calls though.

MrGobbler43 02-20-2008 01:41 PM

My 2 or 3 reed cutter

MrGobbler

mez 02-20-2008 01:56 PM

HS Cutt'n 2.5

NY/Al 02-20-2008 02:03 PM

Quaker boy better fit 2!!

r33h 02-20-2008 03:13 PM

I have better calling luck with a Primos 2 reed mouth call.

JoeA 02-20-2008 03:47 PM

While reading this the phrase "Dance with the one that brung you" came to mind...and thinking about which diaphram if I only had one....count another vote for QB's Old Boss Hen.

SwampCollie 02-20-2008 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Simp

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
Ya know a friend of mine really likes those QB Old Boss Hens as well but I can't seem to make them work for me. I like those new QB foam fit calls though.
Haha... talk about being poor... when I was a kid and learning how to use diaphram calls I got one of my Dad's old ones. It was a Perfection, but was cut exactly like an Old Boss Hen. When I hit the age of about 14 I bought one because that Perfection was about 7 years old. Until I was given a Lil'Deuce 2 for my 16th birthday that OBH was the only call I owned. I think I've probably gone through a dozen of them now, and I still always have one with me doing seminars or calling. I guess its just what I learned with, so because I'm so familiar with it... hey just like JoeA just wrote.... dance with the one you brought!