HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   calling without using calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/232428-calling-without-using-calls.html)

vmartin 02-14-2008 07:06 AM

calling without using calls

I was just wondering if there was anyone else that has did this, leaving your calls at the truck and just using your mouth with no diaphragms. The first time it happened I was out hunting with a friend, his first time, I forgot the calls and my bow release in the truck cause we were in such a hurry. We start to pop over a ridge when 1 jake out of 4 down in the river bottom spots me and rings out the alarm. I immediately return his alarm and start popping and purring back to him, they not only calmed down but they flew across the river, gobbled-strutted and raced up the hill talking back and forth with me for 5-10 minutes till they were all at 10 yards for the kill. My friends jaw was on the floor asthe jakesfought to see who had the right to be first, my friend is hooked for life now and we go out often.Since then I have used just my mouth for a couple of other occasions when I didn’t have my calls in my hand, it has worked pretty much every time. the calls i immitated were the pop and purr, and yelping.

Simp 02-14-2008 07:17 AM

RE: calling without using calls

There are a few guys that can call using only their mouths and are really good at it. Congratulations on getting that jake in so close! I would assume that the cluck and purr would be the easiest to duplicate without the use of a mouth or slate call. I would be curious to know if this could work on a boss gobbler.

RIStrutStopper 02-14-2008 09:33 AM

I was justsaying to my friend yesterday thatI might try that after I have a bird in the bag, just to see if I could. In RI, you do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.

vmartin 02-14-2008 11:13 AM

SIMP Q: I would be curious to know if this could work on a boss gobbler.
VM A: i don't know yet, i did it once this fall after scattering a big group and got (2) 8"-10" beards but they weren't the lead toms by any means. that was with the same guy.

ristrutstopper Q: do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
vm A: iknow you don't have to have a call. there are many ways to hunt a turkey, most of them arent by using a call (stalking, roost fly down/up, passing birds) in these situations a call isn't even needed.

SwampCollie 02-14-2008 12:53 PM

I hen purr is a very difficult call to make (correctly) with a diaphram call. I find that I can duplicate it much more easily without a call at all.

The situation you described, of coming suddenly upon some turkeys but having them not spook is not really what I would call a tried and true method, because most of the time they will spook. If you bust them up, in the fall anyway... not sure about the spring, you can often call them back to you. I would suspect you could call a boss gobbler in without the use of a call just as easily as with one. Only handicap is you don't have the volume with your mouth that you do with a call... even a diaphram. But it can most certainly be done.

Simp 02-14-2008 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

I was justsaying to my friend yesterday thatI might try that after I have a bird in the bag, just to see if I could. In RI, you do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
Ya know, now that I think about it, you have to physically have a call with you here as well. I guess you could always have it in your pocket in case the man showed up.

Arrowmaster 02-14-2008 02:49 PM

Yes I can use my mouth to yelp, cluck, and purr...

MOhunter46 02-14-2008 03:01 PM

I was messin around onehunt and got one to gobble to just my mouth.

Arrowmaster 02-14-2008 07:25 PM

Its not as hard as people think. A purr and cluck are easy. But I dont have any trouble purring and clucking on a diaphram either.

Bobgobble2 02-14-2008 07:32 PM

My brother-in-law is fantastic with just his natural voice.He's killed plenty of birds with a mechanical call and his voice natural voice.I sure cant except gobble a little.Luckily I can produce most all turkey talk with a mouthcall...;)...

ultimag 02-14-2008 07:34 PM

Scratching in the leaves and flapping a bird wing or your hat, is away to call without using calls.

Bobgobble2 02-14-2008 07:39 PM

So is spittin -n-drummin Ulti and that I will an can do..;)

tkycaller 02-14-2008 07:42 PM

I often scratch the leaves without making turkey calls. Sometimes that closes the deal.

ultimag 02-14-2008 07:42 PM

Bob 2 I would like to hear that!!!!

Bobgobble2 02-14-2008 07:59 PM

Chickvvvvvrrrrrrroooooooooooommm!!!!!!!:DHow'd that sound....;)

RIStrutStopper 02-14-2008 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: vmartin

ristrutstopper Q: do physically have to have a turkey call on you to be legal though.
vm A: iknow you don't have to have a call. there are many ways to hunt a turkey, most of them arent by using a call (stalking, roost fly down/up, passing birds) in these situations a call isn't even needed.
I'm saying that the law here states that you need to have a call on you. Furthermore, stalking turkeys here is illegal. That's a dangerous way to hunt. I agree that using your natural voice is okay to do, and I will try it, but you need to have a call on you to hunt.

recurver167 02-14-2008 08:11 PM

Just carry a straw :)

Arrowmaster 02-14-2008 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Chickvvvvvrrrrrrroooooooooooommm!!!!!!!:DHow'd that sound....;)

Sounds good Bobgobble. I can hear it now:D:D:D

Turkey Fife 02-14-2008 10:18 PM

Calling is maybe 10% of killing a bird. Movement is KEY!

You can use a Soda Straw, Ink Pen, Voice, Coffee Stiring Stick,

TF

X Legion General 02-14-2008 10:31 PM

Its like my singing voice, It sounds a whole lot better when no one is around.

RIStrutStopper 02-15-2008 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: X Legion General

Its like my singing voice, It sounds a whole lot better when no one is around.
If you yelp, cluck, cut and purr in the shower, you better hope no one is around :D

vmartin 02-15-2008 11:27 AM

RIStrutStopper: wow, i can't believe you have to have a call on you in your state. no disrespect but around here it is perfectly legal to stalk turkeys and i believe it should be. the odds of getting hit by another hunter are so small, and the fact that it would more than likely be by poor judgement from bad hunters. also for the most part i only hunt turkeys on private ground and i know who should be out there and who shouldn't. furthermore we always communicate where we are going and when we hunt. i am not trying to argue in any way i am just saying that is how it is around here.

vmartin 02-15-2008 11:36 AM

RIStrutStopper:lol, i have a funny story for that your last post reminded me of. when i first got my "true talker" buck grunt call, i like to get use to the call by practiceing my call whenever i can so i can hit the tones just right. on the way to the field and comming back i would grunt and bleat all the way there. well i didn't think about it much till one day when iwas driving in themiddle of the day, other cars were passing me and laughing/pointing at me, i started to think about it and the "true talker" grunt call looks like a black man's woohoo and furthermore having it pressed to my lips didn't look that good either. we all had a good laugh about that one later.

RIStrutStopper 02-15-2008 11:58 AM

vmartin- LMFAO! Don't post that stuff when I'm surfin' the forums at work! That had me laughing pretty good, and I'll NEVER practice with my True Talker anywhere in public! Now I don't know if I'll EVER really be able to practice with it without laughing! I just hope I don't start laughing when I'm up in a tree!

RIStrutStopper 02-15-2008 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: vmartin

RIStrutStopper: wow, i can't believe you have to have a call on you in your state. no disrespect but around here it is perfectly legal to stalk turkeys and i believe it should be. the odds of getting hit by another hunter are so small, and the fact that it would more than likely be by poor judgement from bad hunters. also for the most part i only hunt turkeys on private ground and i know who should be out there and who shouldn't. furthermore we always communicate where we are going and when we hunt. i am not trying to argue in any way i am just saying that is how it is around here.
Yeah, pretty pathetic, but it is a safety thing here. Even on private property you have to watch it. I was on a piece of property that only 3 people had permission on, one being me, and I decided that I'd try a gobble shaker since I couldn't get one to light up with anything else. Neither of the other 2 were hunting that day. As soon as I hit that call, I heard all kinds of cutting going on from near the road, sounded like a guy on a box call. The last thing I wanna do is sneak up on a turkey and catch a load of #4s in the face coming from the other side of the bird. Second to last thing I wanna do is take a shot at the bird I've been working and nail someone on the other side of it hidden and sneaking thru the woods to get a shot at him...

hambone44 02-15-2008 12:44 PM

I called 2 last year with my hand...scratching leaves...turkeys flew down and came right to me...

Mr. Longbeard 02-15-2008 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

Calling is maybe 10% of killing a bird. Movement is KEY!

You can use a Soda Straw, Ink Pen, Voice, Coffee Stiring Stick,

TF

highlonesome 02-15-2008 07:49 PM

One of my friends made a call out of two mesquite sticks and called just as many birds as we did with comercial calls. Next thing ya know we start looking for sticks and making our own calls. Was a blast.