Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 calling without using calls >

calling without using calls

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling without using calls

Old 02-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: calling without using calls

ORIGINAL: X Legion General

Its like my singing voice, It sounds a whole lot better when no one is around.
If you yelp, cluck, cut and purr in the shower, you better hope no one is around
Old 02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

RIStrutStopper: wow, i can't believe you have to have a call on you in your state. no disrespect but around here it is perfectly legal to stalk turkeys and i believe it should be. the odds of getting hit by another hunter are so small, and the fact that it would more than likely be by poor judgement from bad hunters. also for the most part i only hunt turkeys on private ground and i know who should be out there and who shouldn't. furthermore we always communicate where we are going and when we hunt. i am not trying to argue in any way i am just saying that is how it is around here.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

RIStrutStopper:lol, i have a funny story for that your last post reminded me of. when i first got my "true talker" buck grunt call, i like to get use to the call by practiceing my call whenever i can so i can hit the tones just right. on the way to the field and comming back i would grunt and bleat all the way there. well i didn't think about it much till one day when iwas driving in themiddle of the day, other cars were passing me and laughing/pointing at me, i started to think about it and the "true talker" grunt call looks like a black man's woohoo and furthermore having it pressed to my lips didn't look that good either. we all had a good laugh about that one later.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

vmartin- LMFAO! Don't post that stuff when I'm surfin' the forums at work! That had me laughing pretty good, and I'll NEVER practice with my True Talker anywhere in public! Now I don't know if I'll EVER really be able to practice with it without laughing! I just hope I don't start laughing when I'm up in a tree!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

RIStrutStopper: wow, i can't believe you have to have a call on you in your state. no disrespect but around here it is perfectly legal to stalk turkeys and i believe it should be. the odds of getting hit by another hunter are so small, and the fact that it would more than likely be by poor judgement from bad hunters. also for the most part i only hunt turkeys on private ground and i know who should be out there and who shouldn't. furthermore we always communicate where we are going and when we hunt. i am not trying to argue in any way i am just saying that is how it is around here.
Yeah, pretty pathetic, but it is a safety thing here. Even on private property you have to watch it. I was on a piece of property that only 3 people had permission on, one being me, and I decided that I'd try a gobble shaker since I couldn't get one to light up with anything else. Neither of the other 2 were hunting that day. As soon as I hit that call, I heard all kinds of cutting going on from near the road, sounded like a guy on a box call. The last thing I wanna do is sneak up on a turkey and catch a load of #4s in the face coming from the other side of the bird. Second to last thing I wanna do is take a shot at the bird I've been working and nail someone on the other side of it hidden and sneaking thru the woods to get a shot at him...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM

I called 2 last year with my hand...scratching leaves...turkeys flew down and came right to me...
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

Calling is maybe 10% of killing a bird. Movement is KEY!

You can use a Soda Straw, Ink Pen, Voice, Coffee Stiring Stick,

TF

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Spike

One of my friends made a call out of two mesquite sticks and called just as many birds as we did with comercial calls. Next thing ya know we start looking for sticks and making our own calls. Was a blast.