Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Looking For Shell Recommendations >

Looking For Shell Recommendations

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking For Shell Recommendations

Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Default Looking For Shell Recommendations

I own a 1934 Remington Model 11 similar / same as a Browning A-5. Anyway smooth bore non-variable full choke 2 3/4 in shell. What recommendations would you have (heavy shot, nickel plated, copper plated) any info is good info.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking For Shell Recommendations

I would try winchester xx loads in #6 shot. They seem to do well inolder guns.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd seriously try to get a real turkey gun... Unless you know already that your birds will be within 20 yards...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Spike

People use 3" 20 gauges for turkeys and those are about the same as 2 3/4" 12 gauge. My son got a great Tom last year with 1 1/4oz. 4 shot pheasant load. Try some different loads and pattern them. I tried five different loads to find a decent one. Good luck, I hope you get a bird with that old gun.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I'd seriously try to get a real turkey gun... Unless you know already that your birds will be within 20 yards...
Uh...I think that is a "Real Turkey Gun"...What do you think they used in 1934 to kill turkeys...

Do Not Use Hevi-shot orany of the TungstenHybrid loadsthrough that barrel or you'll ruin it...Use Copper Plated or Lead only!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Can I use nickel plated lead? I patterned some #5 Fiocchi's and some pretty standard Winchester BB's yeasterday at 25 yards. I was not very impresed with the Fiocchi's but was completeley suprised at how well the BB's patterned. I tryed the BB's on the advise of the Gun Show Room man at Cabelas. I guess I will be trying many differntloads till season. thanks for all of your advise...

Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Try different size shot and different brands, your gun will "like" some better than others.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my first turkey with a Mod. 11, full choke in the '80's. I didn't have turkey loads so I used a high-brass Federal duck load. Those duck loads gave me acceptable patterns out to about 30yd. Killed that jake stone dead at 25 yd.s. I've never been prouder. I'd try a Win HV #4. Those old 11's had pretty tight chokes to shoot old paper shells with no shot cups.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better listen to what TPhunter has told you I'll reiterate DO NOT shoot hevi-shot or for that matter any extrodinary hard alloy out of that stock barrel.I shot an ole JCHiggins for years and pitted the barrel using copperplated lead.Federal in there GameShock line of shotshell ammunition make some decent lead loads adequate for huntin turksin 2-3/4 inch hulls...It'll work you just need to know what you and your gun are capable of and apply it....good luck...One thing,you might check 82 I see your mentioning BB's,better make sure they are legal in your state your hunting in.I know here in Cali and other states its illegal to shoot shot larger than 2's..just a heads up...Oh the day of those ole high brass loads huh wingbone....killed alot of turkeys with em though...
Old 02-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Tbyrnzy82

Can I use nickel plated lead? I patterned some #5 Fiocchi's and some pretty standard Winchester BB's yeasterday at 25 yards. I was not very impresed with the Fiocchi's but was completeley suprised at how well the BB's patterned. I tryed the BB's on the advise of the Gun Show Room man at Cabelas. I guess I will be trying many differntloads till season. thanks for all of your advise...

Is BB shot legal in your state to hunt with?
In Iowa it is not legal For turkey.

Quick Reply: Looking For Shell Recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.