Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom? >

What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Turkey Fife

I have set a Personal Goal of 25 Lbs, with a 12" Beard, Spurs Don't impress me. However, a Bird that big will have probably have 1 1/4" Spurs. I would Mount this bird!

TF
[/blockquote]

That's all fine,but how are you going to tell if that bird is 25 pounds or more? They all look big, especially when they are in strut. A 20 pounder probably looks as big as a 25 pounder when in strut. I for one am not waiting to guess how much he weighs. If he is a longbeard he is in trouble. I don't care if heweighs 16 or 30 pounds.
Hey! Wait a Min., LoL I only got one bird last year and it was a Jake. This is my Goal to get one Mounted $450-500 Bucks is a lot of money to me. And if I get one Mounted he will be 25 Lbs OR 12" Beard, He can have 1/4" Spurs I don't care about them. However, this is a Trophy in my book! My biggest to date is 23 1/2 Lb. 10 1/2" Beard 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" Spurs

My Cousin who is the same age as me, when we were in our Twenty's killed a 25/12 we had to carry that bird a Mile, that's a big bird, I know, I helped carry it back to the truck

Turkey Fife
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

See TF... I'm complete opposite of you..... in my eyes spurs are the only thing that tell a true trophy bird.

On a wide scale of comparison... with nothing but TANGIBLE results... in my opinion a turkey that has spurs of 1 1/2 inches or more is a trophy bird. Beards depend on ice.... weight depends on location and time of year. To a certain extent (espeically on Merriams) spurs do depend on rocks... but I've shot birds with 1.5" spurs and 8" beards that weighed 18 pounds... and 22# birds with 1 1/4" spurs and 11" beards. To me.. a mature tom that has the spurs to prove it make a "trophy".

On an intangable level... there are a few turkeys that come to mind to me that I never connected with, and one that I did. These were smart field birds that I pursued in one case for four springs. They were smart and they played the game well. They gobbled, they responded. It was as if they knew I was after them... but rather than going into hiding... they flaunted that they were still alive. I REALLY felt like I was HUNTING something. The one bird I did get like that (by digging a pit near a ditch in the middle of a field and laying in the sun for 4 hours)... that bird to me was a trophy. The first turkey I killed on my 18th birthday after hunting them alone for 10 years (and that bird was a trophy too.... 1 5/8" spurs, 23#s and 10.5" beard) was a TRUE trophy. Hunting doesn't get any sweeter than that.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Different strokes for different folks,I've harvested birds that scored better than 70 points on alot more than one occasion but the birds I remember the most are my personal trophy's and alot of em were just not that monsterous,as some have eluded too.Been along time since i called in my first tom and dropped him And I can recollect that moment to the day.Yes it was a jake and I've never had a moment that much happier in the woods even afterharvesting some fine longbeards sincethat awesome spring mornin...Apr,9th,1980....
Very well said Bob.Only thing I'll add is my greatest trophy EVER,Was little over 18lb with a 7 1/2" beard and 3/4" spurred 2 yr old.My 15 yr oldson called it in for me.I've passed on alot of birds over the yearsbut that one was goin home with me even if I woulda had to catch it with my bare hands
Old 02-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Being new to turkey hunting,, any LEGAL bird for you to shoot is going to be a trophy. In many states you can also shoot a hen that has a beard. I got my 1st bearded hen last yr in Ne. along with a good tom. As your turkey hunting progresses in years experience, so will your want to harvest better birds. As you will find out as these years progress, better/bigger birds will not always be an option. In these cases you will either harvest what you can legally, or go home with an empty tag. In no way should you not consider your harvest a trophy because it may be smaller than your previous harvest. Any time you can call your birds in close enough for a shot, you have done a good job.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM

11 in or longer beard ,,1 and a half in or longer spurs and 24 lbs or heavier bird,,but this is my standard ive killed over 50 toms ,,so you being new to the sport anything your able to get into gun range,but leave the jakes alone i dont even let the first time kids shoot them,,so get them ,<under 30 yds>untill you get the hang of it,and shootem in the face......good luck,,
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well for me the hunt constitutes a trophy as much as weight or beard or spur size. I didn't start turkey hunting until I was in my thirties, but the good thing is I got my son into it at the same time. He wasn't able to hunt yet but we have learned together. The first bird I called in to him meant more to me then anyone I have shot.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

See TF... I'm complete opposite of you..... in my eyes spurs are the only thing that tell a true trophy bird.
In some are's the terrian wears the spurs down quite a bit doesn't it?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last year I called in a bird on my own for the first time. I killed him with my double barrel black powder 12 ga. That bird was a jake and I consider it my greatest trophy up to now. That may change over time but for now that is my GREATEST HUNT EVER!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone knows ANY bird taken on public make you "Godlike".
Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Everyone knows ANY bird taken on public make you "Godlike"
Please don't feed the animals.

Quick Reply: What Qualifies as a Trophy Tom?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.