Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question >

New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question

Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question

Been really gettin ready to get after the turkeys this year.Trying to gather up some calls.I bought a Primos Box Cutter and the Primos mouth call set.I really like messin with the mouth calls.On the CD it said try different ones to find one you feel comfortable with.So far the A-Frame sounds the best with me but it seems itmay be a little to high pitch.I thought about trying a few more different calls to experimentbut not sure which ones to try their are so many.Theirs so many different terms andI'm not sure what they all mean.How do I know which ones I should buy and try out? It's kinda addicting playing with these things.Every time I go somewhere in the truck I wear it out.
I was also planning to buy me a slate.I have a lil cheap'o but wanted to upgrade.I almost bought the Primos Power Crystal but figured i'd wait and get some opinions from others.Any suggestions on some I should consider?
Any extra info or suggestions for a newbie who has to learn on his ownwould greatly be a appreciated.I don'tknowanybody who turkey hunts so I'm watching a lot of tv shows and reading to try and gather as much info as possible.Just going to have to wing it I guess.
Thanks,
James
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question

Practice, practice, and practice some more! You have some good stuff there, learn how to cluck and cutt first.I use Primos calls and they fit well in my mouth, areeasy to use and sound great.I like the sonic dome models for myself.I WOULD BUY SEVERAL AND TRY THEM OUT, RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE.

My cousin has a Power Crystal and it is the bomb! Probably the best$20 you'll spend for turkey calls. Mine is on the way from BPS! Good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like jbar said, Practice a bunch. You can never be too good.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

I mainly use the Quaker Boy and HSStrut mouth calls. For slates I love the Cody series. Great sounds...
Old 02-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

For slates I love the Cody series. Great sounds...
Agreed. I like them too.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Primos Power Crystal is about my favorite production pot-type call. It's been my go to call the last few seasons. Knight and Hale's Ol' Yeller is a good call to start with too. Sounds good and easy to use.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I've definately been practicing a bunch.I practice with all my calls but using the mouth call is adicting to me.My wife is tired of hearing turkeys in the house.Pretty funny.I'll be in my den watching a show and trying to mock them,look over at my wife in the living room and she's just looking at me like I'm an idiot.The look on her face is worth it alone.
Heading to Gander Mtn now.I'm going to try a few more mouth calls and may even pick up a slate.
Thanks fellas,
James
Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Cant go wrong with the power crystal it is probably the best sounding mass market call out there
Old 02-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Bought me a couple more mouth calls and the Power Crystal.I really like the sound of the Power Crystal.
One of the mouth calls I bought wasa Mini Sonic Dome Triple with Bat Cut.Thats probably my favorite so far.I've gotmost of the things I wanted for the upcoming season I think.Ifpossible I may end up buying a vest and a decoy.
One question about my gun.Last year I bought a Mossberg 835 in camo with the turkey choke but never got the time to go use it.Are these gunsusually pretty good out of the box or is their anything I need to do to it?I'm going make sure it patterns well just curious how everyone else's performed out of the box with the original turkey choke?Choke says "Ulti Full Turkey Choke" if that helps.
Thanks again for all the help.
James
Old 02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 835 is a good gun. You should be able to find a shell that it likes. I would try another choke though. Not saying that the factory choke is a bad choke but it's always best to have other options to try.

Quick Reply: New Guy?? Mouth Call & Slate Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.