HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   hevyshot users (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/229919-hevyshot-users.html)

Ky Turkey Hunter91 01-30-2008 03:54 PM

hevyshot users

I have heard they are the only way to go for turkeys.
I was wondering since you have been shooting them have you noticed any wearing or any thing in your gun barrel.
What kind of choke tube do you use,I am thinking of a tight wad.
Do you notice any tighter patterns.
Any other pros and cons.
I think i notice that last year they were around $10 for 5.

Thanks for any responces.

Rory/MO 01-30-2008 03:57 PM

RE: hevyshot users

i use em. get great range, tight patterns out to about 45 easy kill, 55 if hes in strut facin you. i havent noticed any wear in my barrel. i use an extra full choke, i forget the brand and model. i think all pros outta my gun with them, give em a try...

Simp 01-30-2008 04:30 PM

I haven't tried them for turkey this year...yet, but if they're anything near what a goose load is, I'll be one happy camper. Definitely more range and the knockdown power from hevishot is absolutely phenomenal.

Angus74 01-30-2008 04:56 PM

I tried em while I patterned my turkey gun last year and they shot the worst of anything I tried, Ive read you need a choke designed for it, and I am shooting Kicks Gobblin Thunder, and it didnt shoot well at all, my choke may have been too tight.. Ive heard lots of good about hevishot shells, but for the price and my experience I wasnt impressed.

Gamblinman 01-30-2008 05:22 PM

Some guns shooting Hevi-Shot need less constriction, while others prefer more. The real benefit is the knockdown power. awesome for turkeys, especially at extended distances where you need to break bones and not just cut meat.

Pike_county_hunter 01-30-2008 06:45 PM

i plan on using them this year

Simp 01-30-2008 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Gamblinman

Some guns shooting Hevi-Shot need less constriction, while others prefer more. The real benefit is the knockdown power. awesome for turkeys, especially at extended distances where you need to break bones and not just cut meat.
Exactly. My experience with Hevishot is that you need a little less constriction than you would with lead. Hevishot is definitely hard and shouldn't be squeezed too tight. It's definitely not as hard as steel but its definitely not like lead.

huntnteen 01-30-2008 07:15 PM

I hunt tukey with them as long as we had them, i use a full choke 2 3/4" and have always got my bird with them, one time a couple years ago i had made a quick shot at 60 yards only bird on the property was about to fly over the fence, so i hit it in the body and it fell dead, when we cleaned the bird we saw that the shot went strait through, not one pellet in the breast or feathers

younggun308 01-30-2008 07:44 PM

My uncle killeda turkey, at 50 yards, in the last minutes of shooting light.

If you're going to make such shots, don't make them without practicing, because my uncle's buddy, who was with him, shot at the Tom that was next to the one my uncle killed, and he missed, didn't kill, barely winged it.
Make sure you practice, and I know $20 per 5-round box hurts, but believe me, it's well-worth it.

Josiah