Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slate calling ?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:44 PM

Default Slate calling ?

Just wondering what the difference is between a cluck and purr on a SLATE CALL. The directions are the same for both calls. Just wondering if this is correct when doing a cluck, you kinda let the striker do its thing like bounce around a little bit, but in a staight line, and when doing a purr you keep it consistance and a little faster and shorter. If I am not correct on this could you guys please fill me in. I was watchin the H.S. Strut video for over and hour and doing some mouth calling and I am UNABLE to do a purr but fell pretty good about my clucks and yelps. I definetly want and need more practise with the diaphrams, but after trimming several times they sound pretty good. Also I may buy a box call, is there one that you guys may like better then others... Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Slate calling ?

To cluck on a pot and peg call, you want to pull the striker in a very short stroke with pressure on the call surface. You want a single note to "pop". It should be sharp and quick. The striker should not leave the surface of the call. Increasing or decreasing pressure, and how you hold the callwill adjust volume accordingly.

To purr, you want to drag the striker across the call with very light pressure to create a vibration. Again, you can control the volume by how you place the call in your hand.

I haven't been impressed with any of the major turkey call manufacturer's box calls. I feel the same way with most pot and peg calls. IMO...find a custom call maker. They usually spend a little more time tuning their calls and have a much better sound.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Good advise above....the only thing I would add is when clucking on a slate call move the striker like you are striking a match. Just a quick pop on the calling surface.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with the input on the clucks and purrs on a slate call. Now for the purr on a diaphram call I make sure my lips vibrate when purring. Some can do it without the lip vibrating. I find it easier to vibrate my lips.. hehehe that sounds kinda funny... As for box calls Im ok using one but prefer using mouth and slates...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

When I teach how to use a Pot or Slate call - I'll show you how to hold the striker, show you to make a typical stroke to create the desired call and then take a cloth and cover your hands.......your calls can be accomplished listening to a REal Turkey voices CD or mimicing someone who canuse the call.

And then also mimicing what your hear for real in the wild.

Practice what was given to you above and try to compare it as you listen to the CD. In no time you will have the basics down.

JW

Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great advice given above on the clucks and purrs, so I won't comment on them. I will comment on the purrs with the mouth call. I think the purr is probably one of the hardest calls to make with a mouth call. I have tried and tried and tried with a mouth call, but I just can not do it. I can do just fine with the other calls but for some crazy odd reason, the purr just doesn't click with me either. I will tell you to keep practicing and hopefully it will click with you.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Great advice! Just take your time, and record yourself, until you get where you want to be. Remember it is all about the striker. If you are having trouble, play with your grip no the striker...
Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Cutting - done with short strokes - see the red - white lines is how the pot is sanded

Clucks would only be one of these

Purr - done with one long very light stroke - the white lines is how the pot is sanded.

Yelp - done with a "J" type stroke

These drawing are the comlpiments of Addited to spurs.

Thought it might help.

JW

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe its just me but one thing I have learned is that you dont have to be a hundred percent perfect with your callin. Every turkey in the woods is going to sound different. and I have seen some sick turkeys making sounds. I actually like to try to imitate a jake trying to gobble with my mouth call. It never sounds pretty but that mature bird knows what is goin on.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:19 PM

JW, does the direction of sanding and the direction of the striker affect the sounds of the call much?

Quick Reply: Slate calling ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.