Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Safety tips for new turkey hunter >

Safety tips for new turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Safety tips for new turkey hunter

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Spike

Default Safety tips for new turkey hunter

I plan on hunting public land this spring and I was wondering if you have any tips for alerting other hunters to my position to avoid any accidents. What about tying some of that blaze orange marking tape above me on the tree im sitting in front of?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Safety tips for new turkey hunter

Great question. No complete easy answer though. In my area there are quite a few trees that have orange tape on them for whatever reason and from whatever time, so I don't know how much it would help, it could perhaps cause some concern for that gobbler that know the woods better then you do (more so if ends of tape are blowing in the wind).

One thing to do if you possibly can is to find a tree that is wider then you are, so anyone approaching from the rear can't see any subtle movement you may make. If you hear footseps behind you, you should say hello and not try to wave or anything, even if it not a person, safety first. Also be very aware that if you get one gobbling and are working on him,,,,,,,it could attract attention and someone (even though wrong) may try to stalk closer to bird (and you).
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Of course, never wear red, white or blue clothing. Or pull out a pop can of color. I hunt defensively just as i drive defensively. I scan all trees out in front of me, or unnatural blobs in cover for lurking hunters. Remember, man & turkeys plod similar, so that could be a hunter you hear comming from out of sight.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Spike

good tips guys.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Do not use a gobble tube unless you are certain that you are the only hunter in the area unless you want to attract some other hunters...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sit against a wide tree, NEVER stalk turkeys cuz someone might be set up on the other side of him ready to pull the trigger, wear an orange hat or display some blaze when moving, careful how you carry your decoys (I usually throw an orange gaitor around the decoy's heads if they aren't folded up in my vest), don't wear red, white or blue. If someone seems to be stalking towards your position, use a human voice to get his attention.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If you use decoys - do not place them directly in front of you! Since I am a right hand shooter I place them off to the left.

JW
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on the area and amount of hunters... I pull in early and wait around, I might meet some folks and ask them where they are going...
Other than that, I pick a spot and hang tight.... If I don't kill a bird or set up wrong, I go to the nearest parking spot in my truck and relocate that way. Guys walk a long ways sometimes when they don't know where they are....
Here's an example, way late in the Fall season, I grabbed 12 guage and head out to a spot where I have seen turkeys crossing a creek... I set up and a guy put his flash light on me from a treestand!!! I asked him where he had come from since there wasn't a truck at the spot, he said he walked from the highway.... Its 2 miles away....
So, we chatted about that and he decided he wasn't real smart... then he said, "you don't spook my deer and I won't spook your turkeys//"
1 hour later I lit that 3.5 off and killed a bird about 250 yards up stream...probably scared that guy clean out that stand...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Depending on the area and amount of hunters... I pull in early and wait around, I might meet some folks and ask them where they are going...
Other than that, I pick a spot and hang tight.... If I don't kill a bird or set up wrong, I go to the nearest parking spot in my truck and relocate that way. Guys walk a long ways sometimes when they don't know where they are....
Here's an example, way late in the Fall season, I grabbed 12 guage and head out to a spot where I have seen turkeys crossing a creek... I set up and a guy put his flash light on me from a treestand!!! I asked him where he had come from since there wasn't a truck at the spot, he said he walked from the highway.... Its 2 miles away....
So, we chatted about that and he decided he wasn't real smart... then he said, "you don't spook my deer and I won't spook your turkeys//"
1 hour later I lit that 3.5 off and killed a bird about 250 yards up stream...probably scared that guy clean out that stand...
Thats a good one
Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 AM

i would wear orange on my back. most vests come with one i think. make sure of your target before you shoot. just keep your kewl and make sure its a turkey bird your shootin at, and not someone else

Quick Reply: Safety tips for new turkey hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.