Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

20 Gauge for turkey

Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 20 Gauge for turkey

Does anyone use their 20 gauge for turkey? I've never hunted waterfowl and I just started hunting turkey last spring, so I don't own a 12 gauge.I have a mossberg pump with a modified choke and a savage single shot with a full choke. The more that I read about turkey hunting it looks like I'll be following different rules than most hunters. Even though both guns have 3" chambers I'm going to be limited to 1 1/4 ounces of shot versus 2 ounces in a 12 gauge. There's no way around shorter shooting distances with less shot in the shell. I'm expecting a 30 to 35 yard maximun range with number 6 shot. I haven't tried hevi-shot yet but can I expect better groups than lead? Another question that I have is if I can only take a 30 yard max shot due to pattern density, can I go down to 7 1/2 shot. Yes I know that it's considered too small for turkey due to low energy per pellet but how does the performance of 7 1/2 shot at 30 yards compare to 6 shot at 50 yards. I know that I can't possibly be the only hunter without a 12 gauge so I'd like to hear everyone elsestheory about taking turkeys with a 20.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 20 Gauge for turkey

Kids use them and kill birds with them, Its not a manly thing or nothing, Its the lack of recoil,
I'd get some loads and figure out where you can pattern effectively... But I wouldn't take a shot outside 15-20 yards with it. Get a 3 inch #2 maybe...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Centaur,
I'd suggest that you go over to the National Wild Turkey Federation site and read about the 20's in the "shotgunning" section. Seems a lot of guys there hunt with them and can help you out especially a guy who calls himself "allaboutshooting". They are shooting out to 35 yds. or greater. I have 20 ga 870 with a .575 Rhino choke and use Nitro Company shells (4x5x7 hevi) and I can easily take a bird at 40 yds. Most of the time though I use a 12 ga 870 with Nitros and Rhino choke.

Jim
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in the market for a 20ga for rabbit hunting and for turkey hunting. Doing you homework bypatterning it correctly, you can make any20ga into a real nice turkey thumper.I went to a turkey seminar last year that Chris Parish hosted. He said that all he used for turkey hunting anymore is a Benelli 20ga with Nitro turkey loads. He added it shoots just as nice if not better, less recoil and much lighter to carry around than a 12gawith all the hunting he does.

I think as long as it has a change-able choke system in it and you take the time to patterning it witha lot of different loads,you'll be just fine with a 20ga. Just so you know, shooting 2ounces of shot versus1 1/4ouncesdoesn’talways mean its better when it comes to turkey hunting.Each gun likes different loads and that why you need to try just about everything out there to see what your gun likes. Good luck and hope you find the right turkey gun for you
Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redmag

Centaur,
I'd suggest that you go over to the National Wild Turkey Federation site and read about the 20's in the "shotgunning" section. Seems a lot of guys there hunt with them and can help you out especially a guy who calls himself "allaboutshooting".
Beat me to it! The guy who calls himself "allaboutshooting" is Clark Bush. He is a former world record holder in still target shotgun shooting and is very, very knowledable! He has a website designed for shotgun shooters and turkey hunters and gives free advice (http://allaboutshooting.com/). Clark has shot just about every brand of gun in comination with all different barrel lengths in combination with every brand of choke in combination with every brand of shotshell imaginable. I had asked him about joining huntingnet, and I think that he has, using the name "allaboutshooting", but isn't active yet. You can get in contact with him by going to his website though.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I recieved a Win model 12 20ga 20" barrelfrom my father in 1951. I shot Quail, Snipe, Turkeys and Rabbits until 1965 when I bought a Rem 1100 12ga.

BTW, I still have the Win model 12 20ga.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Clark is a very smart man! I recommend him as well.

Also, I assure you that with some research you can get a great pattern out to 40-45 yards with the right 20ga. Good luck in your search!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get a nice pattern out of it, it should work fine.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

If you can get a nice pattern out of it, it should work fine.
True...and with the introduction of "heiver than lead" shotshells, there should be enough nock-down power to to do the job. You probably wont be able to take as long of a shot as what you might with a 12 guage though.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: redmag

I have 20 ga 870 with a .575 Rhino choke and use Nitro Company shells (4x5x7 hevi) and I can easily take a bird at 40 yds.Jim
There's the answer! If you want to waste your time and spend more money that it's worth, go buy several boxes of ammo and buy several chokes and start shooting. If you want to do it right, buy the Rhino choke and the Nitro shells and don't look back!

Quick Reply: 20 Gauge for turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.