Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Tent Blinds and Turkeys... >

Tent Blinds and Turkeys...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tent Blinds and Turkeys...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tent Blinds and Turkeys...

Only 1 turkey under my belt but the hunt was a call in from 400 yards while laying against a tree in full camo...a real hunt we all pray for ...the hole 9 yards...I took my first bird with a 12 gauge.

My Question: I see it done all the time with tent blinds...Should I use a tent blind?...any worries in spooking them? Get the blind out early before the season?

Please answer this as well...Avid bowhunter...should I take a bow knowing its only my 2nd turkey..I'm confident...Our should I play with the shotgun for my next few birds?

Your thoughts

Tent Blind? Bow? Gun?

Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tent Blinds and Turkeys...

Turkeys normally pay no attention to tent blinds...I own one but only use it when I have a kid with me or someone that can't sit still.

As for using a gun or bow...hmmm...Depends on how much time you have to dedicate to hunting them I guess...If your limited on time then I'd say use the shotgun so it evens out the odds of not missing when you do get one in close...but then again if it's the adventure your looking for and the thrill of possibly killing one with your bow then that would be the way to go...It's a personal thing...I've only bow hunted for 3 years (late bloomer)so I don't feel I'm proficient in it enough to warrant taking a bow yet but I will someday...Besides once a tom has embarrassed you or humiliated you enough to where it becomes personal then you'll want the shotgun to even the odds...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

A tent blind dosen't bother them. I've had turkey's within 10 yards of them. And turkey hunting with a bow? If you want to then do it. Like TPhunter said it's a personal thing.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Spike

I've never killed a turkey from a tent blind, but I did hunt from one and hens walked within ten yards with no apparent stress. I think it's the best way to kill a turkey with a bow, you can draw without spooking them. There's a reason most videos you see with bowhunters and turkeys have a tent blind.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It wont bother a turk to get close to a pop-up blind. If you are bow hunting turkeys, you will most likely need to use a blind. It is pretty hard to pull back on a turkey without one. They have very, very good eye-sight. I don't have a pop-up blind and I don't hunt turkey out of them, but how would a turkey react to a blind making noise in wind? I am in West Texas and we get pretty high winds and that is one of the reasons why have never messed with a pop-up blind.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I deer hunt out of a tent blind exclusively. While deer hunting i have had many many turkeys (hens and Toms) come within a few feet of the blind. They never seem to react to the blind at all.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You dont need to set up a blind in advance. It is helpful the night before so you can sneak in though, but not necessary. Wind noise has never affected any turkey that I have hunted and Ive had A LOT of wind issues. Dont get too small of a blind as you will need room to draw and at different angles. Try it before you buy it (display models). If your ready to use a bow and have a good bit of time to hunt then I would say go for it. You also do not need to conceal your blind like you would with deer. You can set it in the middle of a field and the turkeys will pay no attention to you. Feel free to post any other questions.
BR
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Screw Blinds... Go the hard way, use some skill, Don't buy the medias crap, You don't need all that stuff to kill birds, folks have done it for years without it.
That, and if ya wanna relocate or do any run and gun type tactics, you'll need to leave the blind behind anyways....
Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

Screw Blinds... Go the hard way, use some skill, Don't buy the medias crap, You don't need all that stuff to kill birds, folks have done it for years without it.
That, and if ya wanna relocate or do any run and gun type tactics, you'll need to leave the blind behind anyways....
True but then the blind acts as kind of a home base to leave extra gear, lunch etc.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt more than one area but we have an Ameristep Doghouse and Outhouse that stay up for most of the season. The turkeys are not bothered by it. While my personal preference is to not use it, it sure is nice to be inside when it's raining.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Tent Blinds and Turkeys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.