Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Strange hen behavior

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Strange hen behavior

I watched these two hens strut for over 40 minutes out my office window one day this past summer...I've seen hens puff up in an aggressive manner when approaching another hen but I've never actually seen one strut like these two...Even their heads turned a whiter color...Amazing!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strange hen behavior

Seen a video once with hens strutting
Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great series of pics..had a pic of struttin hen if I find it i'll post it.I believe one of the Primos videos has footage of a hen in strut and trying to gobble too!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the same time of year the Gay Pride Parade's start maybe there is some practicing that had started

yes TP , I've seen hens do the same thing but in the spring has been when I have seen it happen. Good Pic's..
Old 12-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen it in the early fall once. My guess is hens trying to show themselves as big dominat gobblers. Make predators think twice about coming after those poults with them. Making yourslef appear like 20 pounds of spurred turkey is probably more intimidating than 12 pounds of hen. Just thinking out loud but that'd be my guess.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I raise easterns, and I have never seen that before, that is awsome.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen this on several occasoions. Nice pictures!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have some easterns here and have seen the hens do this from time to time. . They have very pretty tail fans...
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM

I've seen a large hen doing the partial strut while I was hunting in Oregon, Tim. Kind of like the one hen in your bottom pic. She was obviously the dominant hen of the group of six - with no toms around that I either heard or saw that morning. She was dragging one wing and making a purring sound as she bullied another hen about her size. It was the second time I'd been in the turkey woods with a shotgun and the whole thing was a mystery to me until I asked about it on the old TSO site and I got the same kind of answers I see on here.

Thinking back, the whole show was pretty amusing - including the newbie thoughts going through my head as I watched the whole show! LOL
Old 12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those kinda look like Jakes... Dakes???

Quick Reply: Strange hen behavior

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.