Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Load

Old 12-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Load

Whats the best load for a 12 gauge. I want it in 3 or 3/12 inch.

Im shooting a Winchester Model 1300 SpeedPump.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Load

The best load will be determined by your gun. Try several. I've had good results from Winchester loads, Extended Range, High velocity, and the regular red hulled Turkey loads have all shot well for me. Your results may vary. Federal and Remington also make some mighty fine loads. There is no substitute for range time. You may find that the 3" loads will pattern better in your gun than the 3.5" loads.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM

I'll agree w/ Wingbone/ each gun willpattern differently. I would go pick up some # 4's 5's & 6's and see which works the best. Last season I started shooting #5 Remington Nitros I killed 3 birds so I'd say they did their job plus they're cheap.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to go against the grain here and say not to go out and buy 5 boxes of shells and 3 chokes and start putting the hurt on yourself. What I will tell you to do is buy some of the Nitro shells atwww.nitrocompany.com (not Remington's version) and while you're at it, get a choke that they recommend on their web site and then start patterning your gun. I think you'll realize after a few shots with the Nitro's that it probably won't get any better than them. I wish I had just bought their shells from scratch because I've wasted many dollars trying to get good patterns with many different chokes and shell combinations.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

I'm going to go against the grain here and say not to go out and buy 5 boxes of shells and 3 chokes and start putting the hurt on yourself. What I will tell you to do is buy some of the Nitro shells atwww.nitrocompany.com (not Remington's version) and while you're at it, get a choke that they recommend on their web site and then start patterning your gun. I think you'll realize after a few shots with the Nitro's that it probably won't get any better than them. I wish I had just bought their shells from scratch because I've wasted many dollars trying to get good patterns with many different chokes and shell combinations.

DITTO!!! I have the very same gun, and shoot the Nitro's H378 3" shells with a Rhino .660 choke tube. Awesome patterns!!!! 316 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards!!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If someone new to turkey hunting asked me what load I would recommend for a starting load... Hands down Winchester HV #5's in 3.5"

Good luck
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Winchester 12 ga. 3"X-Tended Range#6's out of my Browning BPS with a Pure Gold .670 choke tube rivals any pattern I ever got from Nitros at half the cost.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

winchester x-range 3.5 in a #6. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

The best load will be determined by your gun. Try several. I've had good results from Winchester loads, Extended Range, High velocity, and the regular red hulled Turkey loads have all shot well for me. Your results may vary. Federal and Remington also make some mighty fine loads. There is no substitute for range time. You may find that the 3" loads will pattern better in your gun than the 3.5" loads.
good advice..
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was shooting my dad's winchester double X magnums.They seemed to work pretty good. I was shooting of bottles at 55 yards.

Quick Reply: Best Load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.