Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tree turkeys

Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree turkeys

So i'm out bow hunting the other day and on the way back.(i had to go to work) I hera a turkey clucking. so i decide to see if i can get close enough. of course leaves are still on so i'm wondering where this bird is. then i look UP. its almost 9 am and still on a branch. So i begin to think do i waste an arrow and take the shot. well the turkey decided for me as it flew out and away. just thought i'd share it with ya. what would you have done? HMMM
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree turkeys

I probably would have just watched the bird for a bit and waited for it to fly away. Dont like shooting one out of a tree and really dont like the idea of launching and arrow into the air like that.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jepcho

I probably would have just watched the bird for a bit and waited for it to fly away. Dont like shooting one out of a tree and really dont like the idea of launching and arrow into the air like that.
Agreed. In the state of Texas (as I would assume is with most states), it is illegal and unethical to shoot a bird on the roost...with a gun or a bow and arrow.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never really intended to shoot it out of the tree. the only reason i went after it cause i figured that late in the morning they would be on the ground. I knew I would have a chance in heck hitting it even if i wanted to. Plus I really didn't feel like screwing up a perfectly good arrow. Just thought it was something worth sharing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM

i forget who has this as their signature but it says- "DONT GO LEAVING YOUR ETHNICS IN THE TRUCK'' not tryin too bash ya, since ya said you wouldnt have shot. it was pretty nice of ya not too shoot.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The funny thing is i never even pulled back. For some reason i was wondering why the thought of pulling back even crossed my mind. Never killed one out of a tree before so why would it come into my mind then. Oh well no need to worry bout it over now and nothing came of it.I did pull back on a turkey the other day but it was a young jake and wouldn't come close enough. and yes it was on the ground. lol.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 PM

hey atleast your seein some turkeys my season starts the last week of october so im chompin at the bit since it will be my 2nd turkey hunt
Old 10-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Dominant Buck

In FL.......Bird in Roost......Illegal to take!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:25 PM

No sport or challenge in shooting a bird in a tree, not to mention ethics as was earlier stated. [/align][/align]One time I set up on a roost tree and I knew where the turkeys would go after fly down. I had brought a friends son on his first hunt, then BOOM a guy shot a hen right out of the tree before fly down. Not the kind of hunting you want a new hunter to see or teach![/align]Glad you did not fire.[/align]
Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once got pissed enough I ran a turkey out of a tree and threw rocks at it one afternoon at sunset....
I chased that bird for 2 days.. had a shot coming at me... bird flew up.... I cursed and chased bird out....
I often wonder some days during turkey season what others would say if saw some of the antics I pull.

Quick Reply: Tree turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.