Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Does anyone have any tips? >

Does anyone have any tips?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone have any tips?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Does anyone have any tips?

I'm new to this forum and to turkey hunting. I was wondering what sort of eqipment I sould get (guns, camo,calls...). Can you guys help me out. I have been doing a lot of reading on the sport but when I read about the equipment the all say different things about it.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Does anyone have any tips?

Iuse a 12 gauge 3 inch shell Winchester Supremes #4 with a hasting 0.663 turkey choke tube. That is my gun of choice others will have different.

Just starting out for calls. A Pot call and a Box Call. box Calls both Quaker Boy and Lynch make real nice ones. But first go to a palce that you can pick up the call and try it. For Pot calls (Slate or Glass) I buy only custom now. However Primos has some really nice ones.

I try to make my Camo match the area I am hunting. I have several different sets but thenagain I am so addicted I hunt several states each year. If you bow hunt and have camo - it will work. Key thing to remember movement at the wrong time is the key. You need patience.

Next this forum has many many good tips - go back and read all you can. From patterning your gun to tactics for birds both fall and spring, what calls to make and when- use of ground blinds or running and gunning, to even cookin the bird after ya git it!

And do ask questions - there are many on here who have hunted longer than I from which I still learn. But let me warn you - it is a very addicting disease!

JW
Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Ooops - forgive me - Maw has me by da ear! Welcome to the web-site!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

The reason you’re reading so many different things about equipment is because everyone has their own preference as to what to use.

For starters you should concentrate on a shotgun that shoots a good pattern using turkey loads. If you have a 12 or 20 gauge with a choke tube, you’re off to a good start. You’ll need to pattern it and find the best load for the gun is you are using. The other equipment you will need all depend on how much you want to get into it or spend but I feel the most important part is the gun. You can have all the calls and gadgets in the world in your vest, if your gun doesn’t pattern well or you don’t take the time to know it, then they’re all useless.

You can go out and kill a turkey wearing camos, gloves and face mask only using either mouth call, a box call or just slate. I personally carry a huge variety of calls like at least ten mouth calls, three box calls and five pot friction calls with eight different strikers along with a crow and owl call for locating turkeys.

If you’ve never used a call before I suggest starting now learning how to use them. A pot friction call or box call are probably the easiest calls to learn for beginners. Practice and practice and practice a lot learning to run them. I love mouth calls because they’re hands free. I’d have to say that 99% of my hunts are finished off with mouth call. Their harder to learn but if you’re serious about wanting to get into turkey hunting, get a few and learn it use them!

A vest is another thing you might want to think about. Having a vest is not totally necessary but it can make life out turkey hunting a nicer. Lots of pockets for carrying calls, having a nice seat for working or waiting out those stubborn gobblers will pay off quickly after one long hunt and for carrying him out after the hunt.

So here’s a quick list for getting started that I feel would get out there and able to tag a gobbler.

A well patterned shotgun with turkey loads
Camo pants, shirt, face mask, gloves and a hat
A box call or pot friction call that you’ve practice with a lot. A crow or owl call
A vest (you’ll need one after you kill your first gobbler seeing you’ll be hooked)
A good clear mind for taking in everything you encounter while turkey hunting. [/ol]

The best way to learn about turkey hunting is through experience. When you out there think about why something work or why it didn’t work. Try to apply that to your next hunt and learn from it. I hope this helps and that others will add to it. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM

as far as the gun, the one with the best pattern should be your first choice, itdoesn't have to be a high dollar one.camouflage fromhead to toe. what works today may not work tommorrow. i have many different calls,the box,mouth, slate, which ever one gets him fired up is the the one i use. i've learned more from trail and error,then any book or video.the most important thing i can tell you about turkey hunting is zero movement. chances are if you can see him, he's already seen you,good luck and welcome to an addiction.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks guys this will help me out a lot.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum and the most awesome sport in the world Turkey hunting. If ya have any questions just ask...