Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

help

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default help

ok when ever turkey hunting is all we do is set a blind up on the highest part of our hay feild, and that is where we see most of the turkeys, but this last year we were doing some calls and we had 1 turkey come in i couldn't see if it was a tom or a hen so we just waited and called a few times every once in awhile but it started coming closer than it just turned around and left.

What did we do wrong?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Default RE: help

I don't think anyone can answe that question without being there themselves. It was probably spooked but there is to amny ways a turkey can spook. your best bet is it saw you move.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont think it saw me move becasue it was like 100 -200 yards away and i was in a blind. with all the windows shoot threw down.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

As stated this will be tuff! The bird could have lost interest Or saw something it did not like. did yo ahve decoys out? If not the and as you said you are smack dab in the middle of a big Flat hayfield. The bird got nervous cause it did not see what is talking........OR

Now one thing you must be made aware of - even though your blind has shoot through screen mesh windows - and IF you had them all open and the mesh down with 360 degree coverage - you could have created a SHADOW - while in the blindand that is what the bird saw! some not normal movement.

Remember - there is still light passing through the screen. Always leave on area in the blind with a black no back filter light at all. In fact the darker the better is my motto........

Want to prove this theory - set your blind up - pull the mesh down but leave all sides open and have your budy sit in there. then have him move - waht do you see? And you will see shadows!

JW
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

well to start off with our blind isn't smack dap in the middle of a feild its on top of the hill on the other side of the fence with trees behind us so it couldn't really see that much i think, expecially from 100-200 yards away.

and we did have decoys.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

decoys will scare young toms--especially if they knowan older, more dominant tom is around.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

well for the decoys we had a hen a and a jake out and they weren't all that big
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Toms can be very finicky. Not sure how long your blind had been set up prior to your hunting it, but that may have spooked him if it hadn't been there long. There can be any number of reasons or simply no reason at all that a tom may turn and go another direction. He may have seen another hen on his way to you, that you couldn't see. Maybe he has had his butt kicked by jakes before and wasn't coming in to another male. I have had thyat happen to me many times over the years. Sometimes using a jake or tom decoy will work like a charm and sometimes it will spook them. It is really hard for any of us here to say ecactly what spooked your bird, but it sounds as if you had done everything right and the bird just went another direction.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

A turkeys eye sight is awesome. He might not of liked the jake decoy. I have made it a practice to only use hen decoys. Also you should keep the windows closed in the back behind you when hunting from a blind. That way it makes it darker in the blind and they cannot pick up on any movement...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

arrowmaster we keep all the windows up bu sense we go those ones you can shoot threw there always up

and yeah im guessing the tom/jake/hen i couldn't see what it was, it probally just went another direction ebcause it wasn't interested in the decoys we had out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.