Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 NWTF transplanting practices >

NWTF transplanting practices

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NWTF transplanting practices

Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NWTF transplanting practices

I would love to just see ONE TIME that they would let some turkeys go public land... Everytime I see them letting turkeys go it on some big private ranch... Sometimes I feel like my money is going to help Rob Keck and his crew find more prime place for themto hunt wild turkeys[]

It wouldn't surprize if all the turkeys they turn loose come off public land[:@]
Old 08-06-2007, 01:18 PM

Default RE: NWTF transplanting practices

I'm with ya, I am always skeptical of some of these big orgs and where the money ends up. I'm sure most/all goes for the cause but you never know.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ken I know here in Cali they release on both private/public and that many of the birds are trapped in subdivisions,parks and other metropolitan areas.But what I dont like is as you have pointed out,they keep it very secret as to where they release these birds and than DO turn around and hunt them themselves...[:-]
Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

I am with you.In the Bitteroot valley of western Montana they did allot of transplanting. You will be very lucky to find a bird on public land.Amd even luckier to find anyone to let you hunt there "PET TURKEYS". Then again the Bitteroot valley is not really Montana it is a mecca for rich out of state bleadin heart city folk.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Ulti one thing is for sure... hunting is going to be a rich mans sport one day... Average joes arent going to be able to afford it... Sorta like it was back in the old days with the fox hunters... Christ if you spend any time watching the hunting channels... 99.9% of the guys hunting are rich CEO's and Lawyers,doctors,and athelets...

Old 08-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I've been a member off and on since the late 70's,I'm not really a big fan of the NWTF.They spend too much money on the wrong things.They sure didn't need to spend $4,000,000 on a fancy buildin yrs ago among other things.I agree with you guys about it becommin a rich mans sport.Just try walkin outta a NWTF banquet for less than $100.As for the transferrin of birds.The heck with puttin them here.I'd be happy if they quit trappin em here to send somewhere else.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 AM

Back in the mid 90's I was at my familys farm doing some work.When I left,the next farm was having a big party.I stopped and looked.The nwtf and the state fish and game was having a turkey release.They released about 45.Now the whole area is wrapped up with them.Im more than happy with what they did with the area,but also see what yall are saying about public areas.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I would love to just see ONE TIME that they would let some turkeys go public land...
Well, the idea of releasing birds is not to stock the birds for put and take. Birds are released into suitable habitat with no or low populations. No way are turkeys just going to stay on the farm or within a confined area where theywere released. I think one biologist (Dr. Lovett Williams?)estimated that once established, turkeyswill expand into suitable habitat ~5miles/year from their release site. It only took ~5 yrs to develop a huntable population here in So MD after the transplanting operations began.

As far as trapping the birds in one part of the state and releasing them in another -- it's a benefit to all turkey hunters in the long run (e.g. I & others no longer go up to Garrett Co (MD) to chase birds).

And Maryland hasreleasedtrapped turkeys on public land - the preference is to release the birds on private land, as the landowners may take an interest in protecting the resource. On public land, it's up to the game wardens, and there are just not enough of them to go around...

BTW, I also think that the NWTF has lost its rudder.

-fsh
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am heavily involved with trap & transfer activties; yes, even way out here. Check with your state's game mgt plan for turkeys, if they have one.Contact your district's game biologist and local NWTF reps and seeif you can get a release on public land where you have access. Ifthere's enough requests, it mayget things going. That being said, I'm with you on being frustrated about releases on private land with limited access.

12 yrs ago, the first release on Oahu was muffed several reasons. About half, (20-24) were released on private shooting reserve.The managerspromised not to hunt the birds, but after a year the stories started emerging that for a little extra jack, they were allowing shooters to add a turkey to their limit of pheasants. Amazing huh? Well, soon the "supply" of turkeysran out. The NWTF guys on the Big Island wouldn't help the state trap or transfer any more birds for release on private land where there's hunting, and w/o their help the trapping & releases on Oahu stopped for 11 years. That's still the general rule, but private land w/o hunting is another matter.

We now have a small population from 3 releases onto public hunting areas. Every year since 2003 we've had observedreproduction, not just eggs, but poults. It's an encouraing beginning. Also, everyyear we havea few turkeys shot by the "I didn't know we weren't allowed to shoot them" guys.I heard one guy say that 3 hours after I heard him in the parking area comment "Wow, they have turkeys here!" After looking at the sign annoucing thatshooting turkeysin the area was illegal. Smooth move huh?

Our next releases, hopefully soon, will be on land controlled by the Army. There's no hunting, but they'll be protected and we can trap & move them much easier to hunting area without arranging for an air freight flight to move the birds. A huge hassle.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned

Now come on Longbeard, if they were to start releasing turkeys on public land, then the populations might become equivalent to that of private land, and then what would you complain about?

Haha, just kidding, trust me, I agree with you.

Quick Reply: NWTF transplanting practices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.