Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tom/Jake

Old 07-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Tom/Jake

What's the difference?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tom/Jake

Jakes are first year birds. they arent quite a year old(born the previous summer) they are usually spotted by the tail fan. when in full strut, the middle feathers of their fans are usually longer than the rest. spurs and beards are also shorter. spurs are usually just a bump, and beards can reach MAYBE 6" or so at best..most are 3-4". some say you can pick out a jake gobble...i think some you can some you cant. alot of times they seem to have a "short" gobble. they say gobble...but not the obble obble or something like that..but not ALL the time..and ive heard longbeards that i would put money on being jake birds

Toms are long beards. pretty much everything opposite of a jake. full fan, spurs, long beard, etc..2yo+

weight is also USUALLY different. jakes are usually a good couple pounds lighter...depends on area...my area jakes go from like 12-15 or so and longbeards go 17+ usually....somewhere around there...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good answer mauser....

Pysical characteristics with some understanding of the social order among the flock....read these...
http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/aging2.htm
http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/aging3.htm
http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/aging4.htm
Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, Mauser and Bobgobble nailed it right there!!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't the beards get shorter on the older birds, ie: 6yrs. and older ? i know the one Tom had like a 10 inch beard, by the time he was 8 yrs.it was a 3-4 inch nub, his spurs got smaller as well to think of it ....is that the norm ? well, it cant be because flhuntress killed that 8 inch beard with 1.5 inch spurs...he was an older bird, dont know how old though, maybe it just the beards....do y'all know ? seems like they get uglier heads as time goes, not that a gobbler could ever be ugly, i put that there for the lack of better words, lol..

Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

There are only a couple factors that will shorten a mature gobblers beard. One is beard rot, and the other is if it gets froven over winter and breaks off.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the NWTF site and type in Tom/Jake in the search engine
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrowmaster

There are only a couple factors that will shorten a mature gobblers beard. One is beard rot, and the other is if it gets froven over winter and breaks off.
his beard didnt look like it had beard rot, there was no discoloration or anything, just kept getting shorter and shorter, then he died.....but i have never seen beard rotup close so i dont know what i'm looking for.....we dont have cold enough weather so that wouldnt of done it, lol....
Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: huntnma

don't the beards get shorter on the older birds, ie: 6yrs. and older ? i know the one Tom had like a 10 inch beard, by the time he was 8 yrs.it was a 3-4 inch nub, his spurs got smaller as well to think of it ....is that the norm ? well, it cant be because flhuntress killed that 8 inch beard with 1.5 inch spurs...he was an older bird, dont know how old though, maybe it just the beards....do y'all know ? seems like they get uglier heads as time goes, not that a gobbler could ever be ugly, i put that there for the lack of better words, lol..
LMAO huntnma, well for us humans, as we get older, hair changes color and falls out. We get shorter with time. Things get more brittle and may break easier or break off. Who's to say your bird in question couldn't be suffer from the old age syndrome. LOL
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

A Jake is a teenager!

Quick Reply: Tom/Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.